Wednesday, August 31, 2011

You Will Be Tested


This morning, I was worried. My knee was actually popping. Not good. It wasn't really hurting more than usual and I could put weight on it. I figured I'd still get dressed in my work out clothes, go down, and well...at least do some arms and abs. As I was walking down the stairs, I felt a familiar pain. I held on to the banister and went slowly one step at a time. The cat, already down stairs, was cheering me on. "Meow...you can do it." Then again, maybe she was merely hurrying me along so I could feed her.
After my husband left for work, I started writing a list of things I had to get done today.
Let's see...cupcakes, laundry, take son to dentist, use Kohl's cash, blog, etc...I had to run out to the grocery store and get those little paper cups you put cupcakes in. All I had was ones for Halloween and Christmas..that wouldn't do... not in August. Was it still August? Well, with so much on my mind, I forgot about my knee hurting.
Without even realizing it, I went downstairs and got on the treadmill. Its habit, I guess. I was on my third mile before I remembered I was supposed to take it easy. Now that I knew, I could have ended my workout, but instead, I kept walking, waiting for the inevitable. I finished my five miles and stepped off. Hmph..no pain and it didn't give out. Alright then. Time for some push ups. I finished my normal routine then came back up. I showered, got dressed, and made my protein smoothie. By now, it was nearly 1000hrs, time for Kathie lee and Hoda. During the commercials, I knocked out fifty more push ups from the downward dog yoga pose (an idea I got from today's show).
After a trip to our favorite dentist and Kohl's, we headed home. I still had to make cupcakes for the Scout Court of Honor. They hold the Court of Honor every three months to recognize the scouts who are being promoted and receiving merit badges. They are a really big deal. The troop supplies dinner. The parents bring dessert. At our son's request, I made chocolate cupcakes with creamy white icing and sprinkles. He helped. He organized the tray making sure the cupcakes were in order of sprinkle color (that's my boy).
"Mom, how many cupcakes are we bringing?" "The covered carrying tray holds eighteen." "But you made twenty-four." "Mmmm, I guess those will have to stay home. None for me though. Agreed?" "Sure Mom, none for you. No problem (as he leaned over the sink while practically inhaling a cupcake)." Having a teenager in the house keeps me on track. He eats everything I shouldn't.
Tonight, I will have to eat dinner prior to attending. They always serve things the kids will enjoy. In other words, everything is unhealthy. Tonight, the menu will feature hot dogs and hamburgers (on white bread buns). I have sworn off pork and beef this year. So far, I'm doing good. I am not about to break my vow this late in the game. I know I could probably ask them to grill up a veggie burger for me (I have some in the fridge). But to be honest, it would prove to be too difficult. Its easier just to plan ahead and eat at home before we leave.
I know the smells will drive me nuts when I get there, but I'll be okay through dinner. The hard part will be when they open the line for desserts...
The last Court of Honor, I had a fruit tart. They are a lot like pie. I ate the fruit. My husband ate the tart. No guilt. But you never know what parents will bring to these things. I sure hope no one brings anything that will test my willpower. Maybe I should plan dessert too, maybe pack a 60 calorie Jello pudding...just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment