Saturday, August 6, 2011

What The Newseum And Tim's Rivershore Have In Common?





It took a while for us to finally get out the door this morning, but we eventually did. We headed into the city (Washington, DC that is) to see the Newseum. http://www.newseum.org/ We had been hoping to get there since it opened, but it never seemed to happen. Today, we finally did. And I made sure I had my pedometer.
The Newseum is massive and well worth the ticket cost. We did manage to get discounts for one, being retired military, and two, for our two college students. This week, under eighteen was free with one full price ticket. The folks running the place were extremely friendly and helpful, more so than any other DC museum we have visited. Before long, we realized we had not allotted anywhere near the time we would need to see everything. We had to take a break. We went in to the cafeteria which featured a Wolfgang Puck menu and ordered mocha lattes. Unfortunately, the restaurant was closing when we got there. I munched on a protein bar I had packed. The kids all had chips. My husband had a scone. I stole a bite. It was yummy.
We walked around until they literally closed the doors on us (there was a lot to see). We pressed a coin in a machine (my kid must have a hundred of those now) and I purchased our less than perfect group photo. I know we'll be back. If you are ever in DC, you should plan this into your visit. You won't regret it.
After we left the Newseum, we walked out in to the pouring rain. No one seemed to really mind the weather. The cool rain felt good on a hot, humid day. We didn't have to go far to find the car. FYI...There is a convenient parking garage located right next to the Newseum.
Our visit to the Nation's Capitol was fun, but we were excited for dinner. We were heading to Tim's Rivershore in Dumfries, VA. http://www.timsrivershore.com/ It was still drizzling when we got there, but we still ate outside. They brought us an umbrella. Our table was right on the water (you could spit in it from where we sat) and even though it had been humid all day, there was a cool breeze. We ordered spiced steamed shrimp and hush puppies to start, and I finished with the deviled crab cakes (deviled means naughty right?). I can honestly say they were the best crab cakes I have had to date.
We are home now. Time to rest my sore foot...maybe even put a bit of ice on it. No worries. We had a good time. We walked four miles total today and despite a little rain, it was a beautiful day here in Virginia. So, what do the Newseum and Tim's Rivershore have in common? Well, Hurley's of course. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment