Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wonderful World


Yesterday was difficult. It always is. Yesterday was the anniversary of Elvis' death. I remember where I was when we heard. We were returning from a family trip to an amusement park. I was sitting in the back seat. We were all listening to the car radio. When they announced it on the news, my mother began to cry. "Mom, don't cry. Its obviously a mistake. Just wait. They'll come back and say its all a big joke." It wasn't.
Elvis was, to us, like a family member. I would walk down the street singing his songs. I'm sure folks would just watch me and laugh. "Who is that little girl singing in the street?" I heard no laughs. I was dreaming of that "Wonderful World" Elvis sang about and it always made me smile. True fans never forget the love he brought us. We will always remember.
Elvis has been gone a long time now. But if you check out my mother's room back home, it is still filled with dust filled memorabilia she just couldn't let go.
Today, I still sing. I sing, not because I am dreaming. I sing because, at last despite many years of pain, I have found that wonderful world Elvis sang of so long ago.

This morning, my husband got up early for work. He kissed me gently, and let me sleep in. Strangely, even the cat let me sleep in. I rolled out of bed around 0720hrs, donned my work out clothes, and except for the absent spouse (no one to have coffee with), began my day much like any other. I walked five miles, did fifty push ups, did one hundred sit ups, one hundred butt lifts, and three hundred weight repetitions. Then I did an additional one hundred crunches. Why? Why not? It felt good.
When I came upstairs, our youngest was awake laying on the couch watching television. After my shower, he was still there. It was such a beautiful day, I asked if he would walk down to the 7 eleven with me. They recently made renovations and I wanted to see how much they had changed. I honestly don't think I've been in a 7 Eleven since my husband and I dated. We both had an addiction to Cola Slurpees. Well, I loved the renovations (lots of healthy choices now), but the Slurpee machine was out, so I bought a bottled water. Mmmm...would I have gotten a slurpee were it working? Who knows? He bought a bottled Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino. Then we walked home together adding two more miles to my walk for the day. As we walked home, I looked up. Not a cloud in the sky. It made me think of the song I used to sing as a kid. No. I didn't sing. I wanted to, but he would've been humiliated. He is a teenager after all. Maybe it was enough that I thought about singing.



Total Miles Walked - 871//
Weight Reps - 44,420 (5lb weights, 10-15lb kettle bells, curl bar, 6 or 8lb medicine ball)//
Sit ups, crunches - 11,800//
Push ups - 4850 (added 21 February)//
Butt Lifts - 6800 (newly added 25 March)

No comments:

Post a Comment