Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Worthy Substitute


There I was, shopping for my usual Chobani Greek yogurt. Lately, I've been getting the vanilla flavor. Why? A week or so without the incline on the treadmill because of my foot injury. I was not burning the calories I was used too. The vanilla is only 120 calories compared to the higher calorie fruit flavors. The plain is even less (100 calories), but I have to beef it up with 1/2 teaspoon of Nutella to really enjoy it. Unfortunately, the Nutella is loaded with calories, fat, carbs, and sugar. Ugh! Too bad. I love Nutella. Maybe just a taste. "No", I tell myself. Be smart. Healthy choices.
Anyway, color me surprised when, there I stand in front of the grocery store's refrigerated yogurt section and they are out of Vanilla Chobani. This will not do. Then I remembered the commercial with John Stamos. I searched the shelves and there it was. Dannon Oikos Greek. As I remembered it, the Dannon had been high on our Greek yogurt home taste test. And you know what? They had vanilla. It was not as healthy as Chobani. The calories were the same, but it was higher in carbs (19 compared to Chobani's 13), higher in sugar (18 compared to Chobani's 13), and lower in Protein (12g compared to Chobani's 16g). But I picked it up and considered it. Was it a worthy substitute? I decided yes..for now. I need to have my yogurt everyday. Yogurt has literally changed my life for the better. I take one a day, just like my vitamins. Brands come and go, but that will never change. The doctor that advised me a few years ago to commit myself to eating yogurt every day to reduce perimenopausal symptoms? As far as I'm concerned, she was a genius. Between that and my overall healthier diet, mine are gone completely. Can I hear an Amen? Hallelujah and Hooah! Oh yeah! Life is good. Lady issues? Have you committed to yogurt yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment