Friday, August 26, 2011

Blackberries and Bare Naked Ladies


When I got up this morning, I decided to take of the advantage of the calm before the storm. I walked outside..about 4.5 miles around the neighborhood. It was a beautiful day and a lot of folks were out and about walking or riding bikes. I didn't see any runners today. The humidity was higher than usual, but there was a cool breeze.
On the return trip, the pain began. This weather is wrecking havoc on my old knee injury (one of my many personal potholes). Its going to be a big storm. I know because my knee hasn't felt this bad in a long time. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on the music playing on my iPod. "There's a She Wolf in the closet. Let it out so it can breathe..." I love Shakira. I slowed my pace a bit, but eventually I made it home without breaking in to a limp. Whenever I feel the knee pain I remember the old ROTC Instructor who advised me, "Never let them see you limp." He did this because he wanted me to show strength in lieu of weakness. Today, my strength came from Skakira, Lady Gaga, and Pink.
I walked in the door and immediately downed a tall glass of water from the fridge. I sat down and contemplated whether or not I had the strength to walk down the stairs...to complete my workout. I did. 50 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 butt lifts, 300 weight reps...bare minimum today was all I could manage. And to think, before I began my walk outside, I was actually considering doing both that and a treadmill incline walk. Not today. Still, I wouldn't get down. After all, I did work out and I most definitely broke a sweat/glow. My shower felt particularly wonderful today.
My son was watching television when I came back down. I went over to make my whey protein smoothie. I had forgotten. I have a new fruit for my smoothie. Mmmm. Blackberries.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/110325-blackberries-nutrition/
So, today I had a smoothie with one cup crushed ice, one cup water, one scoop 25g whey protein, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and a banana (two full glasses of yummy nutrition). I added another tall glass of water and sat down to watch Hoda and Kathie Lee on The Today Show. My knee already feels better. Hey, wait a minute...is that the Bare Naked Ladies? Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment