Thursday, August 25, 2011

Keep Your Head Up


When I got up this morning, I knew it was going to rain. I felt it. Arthritis does that, and unfortunately I have quite a bit of arthritis. I still got up..and I still worked out. As a matter of fact, I cruised past the 900 mile mark. As of today, I am at 902 miles. I couldn't do the incline as much as I like but, if my sweat/glow was any indication, it was a productive walk regardless. And after a large glass of water, I finished up with 50 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 butt lifts, 300 small weight repetitions and 100 varied medicine ball lifts (remember: low weight, high rep to tone and tighten). After my shower, I enjoyed a whey protein fruit smoothie with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and a banana. Mmmm. The new chocolate 25 gram pure protein mix is positively yummy.
My husband called. He is down in Florida on a work trip. Of course, if it was a pleasure trip, I'd be with him...me and my bikini. But, no...its a work trip. Well, he absolutely made my day today. He was telling me about all the folks he has seen down at the conference who are reading the blog. I was so happy to hear it. Sometimes, you never know. I suppose its a bit difficult to sign on as an official reader. No worries. I just want to say a special thanks to all those who are reading. I know how hard it can be to get motivated to work out especially when you have obstacles in your way. And we all have obstacles. I'm glad the blog is helping. If there is anything I can do, any subject I can research, please don't hesitate to let me know. I feel better now, at well...almost 48, than I did when I was 28..18 even. And that's despite all the broken parts that still plague me (my own personal potholes in the road). I want to help. Remember...what do I always say?

You are never too old and never too broken to be healthy and fit.
You can get there...one step at a time...one choice at a time.

Anyway, I heard on the Today Show that blackberries are one of nature's fit foods, that they have a lot of fiber. At my age, fiber is a good thing. So, I went to Target. Why not the grocery store? I needed cat food and Target always has good deals on fancy feast. Their grocery section saves me from making trips all over town (gas is getting expensive) and not surprisingly, they had fresh blackberries. Believe it or not, I've never had a blackberry. My son says they are tart. We'll see. Now when did he have a blackberry? It wasn't at our house.
I was in the car driving home when a song came on the radio. It was Andy Grammer's "Keep your head up". Before long, I was bebopping to the music. Ever done that? Of course you have. Yes, its pretty embarrassing when someone in the next car stares at you. Just smile. In my experience, they always smile back. Who knows? It might even brighten their day. It started to rain before I got all the way home. Instead of getting bummed that I was going to get wet carrying groceries in to the house (the garage door opener is one of the things that died in the last storm..power surge I think), I just smiled. After all, God was washing all the bird poop off my pretty red car and watering the lawn for us to boot.
We may have had a lot of damage from the recent storms, and my old army injuries might slow down my work outs a bit, but I wasn't going to worry about it. I knew it was going to be okay. I mean..I passed 900 miles today. OMG! Right? You know what? There might even be a rainbow after the storm just for me.
When I pulled up in to the drive way, I ran in the house and called to our son to help me unload the car. He even helped put stuff away. What a wonderful world this is. As I finish this blog, the sun is shining again. Its temporary though. Hurricane Irene is heading in our direction. Time to go batten down the hatches I guess. :)
I think I'll download "Keep your head up" on my iPod.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Terry, It's your friends over at SKECHERS USA. Thanks for inspiring us with your blog. Keep up the goog work!

    SKECHERS

    ReplyDelete