Thursday, August 11, 2011

Small Ways To Make A Big Impact


http://www.bearnaked.com/sustainable.asp

Today, after my walk (5 miles and finally with an incline of 5), I packaged up my collection of Bear Naked granola bags. I'm going to mail them in for their sustainable packaging project (see link). Its just something little I can do that's positive.
Back before our youngest was born, I was a Company Commander for an Army unit here in Virginia. During the time I was there, we did our best to do what we could for the community. We collected for the local homeless shelter and every month, we gave blood. As a matter of fact, for several months running, our little unit had more blood donations than any unit on post. Why? I knew how important blood donations were. So, I made a deal with them. Donate blood and get a three day pass. Bring a friend or family member who donates and increase that pass to a four day pass. Of course, the specific weekends had to be worked out with their immediate supervisors, but in the end...the plan worked. I know it may seem like bribery to some, but I know in my heart they learned a lot about giving and in the process, we saved lives.
I can't give blood today. They turn me away because of the mad cow scare, because I was stationed in Germany back in the 1980's. Its a bit ridiculous if your ask me. Between my assignment in Germany and the time they stopped me, I had already given several gallons of blood with no issues. To this day, whenever I see a donation truck, I stop and ask if the rules have changed. In the mean time, I do what I can. I recycle. I have switched to drinking water out of the fridge dispenser and if you look at my driver's license, you will see that I am an organ donor. Now, all I need is a hybrid Mustang and I'll be set. Until then, I think I'll grab my reusable bags and walk to the grocery store. What small ways do you make a big impact?

No comments:

Post a Comment