Thursday, August 4, 2011

Take The Hills



I took the bandage off my foot just to see if it was healing. It had gone from a dark purple to a more girly pink. I believe, when it comes to injuries, it makes sense that pink is significantly better than purple. This is good news. Still, I thought it wise to take it easy. I decided to walk the neighborhood trail in lieu of trying to do a fast pace hard incline on the treadmill. The neighborhood, though less of a challenge, is more calming than my normal walk while watching the news. I grabbed my iPod, cell phone, and keys and headed out the door. Instead of listening to my selection of walk music, I opted for a change of pace. I flipped around looking for music I hadn't heard in a while. Today, I walked mostly to George Thorogood and the Destroyers. I need to move some of the songs to my walk playlist when I get the chance.
I expected my foot to hurt more as I walked. I was mentally prepared for it. But the pain never came. Maybe it was because I took it easy. Maybe it was because I was lost in the music. I came to the hill, the most challenging part of the neighborhood walk. No one was around, so I sang along to the music. Before I knew it, I was at the top. I think its important to "Take the Hills". You have to do what scares you. You have to ride the roller-coasters, climb the stairs, sit through the scary movies, and yes, even watch "Shark Week." You have to meet the challenges in life. To me, life is all about taking the hills.
Once there, at the top of my hill, I felt energized. I considered going further than I normally do. Could I do the long walk, the 7.6 mile? Not today. Today, I would be smart and not push it. I may feel "Bad to the Bone" (it was playing while I took the hill), but in truth, I was still on the injured list. I really want to do the long neighborhood walk someday, but when I do, I don't want to do it alone. I want to have a walk buddy, someone to talk to. The long walks get lonely even with the iPod.
When I got home, my phone started acting all weird like it was on vibrate. I turned it off but it still vibrated. Okay, time to troubleshoot. I took out the battery and let it sit and dry out while I went down to continue my workout. About a half hour later, I came back up and I put the battery back in. It was fine. I think it may have gotten moist sitting in that little pocket in my shorts. Guess I need a new way to carry my cell...if I'm planning on sweating that is. I like my old cell phone. It has a keyboard like a tiny computer, but I don't have to touch a screen and expect it understand. I have fingernails and cold fingers. Touch screens and I don't work well together. Maybe one day. The kids claim they don't make phones like mine anymore (Hey, wait a minute. Are they saying I am old?). For now, I'll just take better care of what I have. It works for me. Perhaps buying a touch screen phone will be a new hill I have to eventually climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment