Monday, August 8, 2011

One Choice At A Time. One Step At A Time.



Last night, I was faced with a decision. Should I have my usual Sugar free Jello with whipped cream, ravage the decadent desserts leftover from Friday night's dinner with friends or go along with the family to Jo's Jo's Soft serve in Dumfries. It was our college kids last night before returning to school up in Massachusetts. I call this choice a "no-brainer". I wanted us to have family time. I even convinced my husband to come along. They seemed a bit shocked that I wanted to come along. After all, ice cream isn't exactly what you call health food. When we got there, I took a look at the menu. We finally decided on the root beer shaved ice. Sweet, but really how bad for you could it be, right? My husband and I shared...very romantic. One choice at a time.
When we came home, I went to take a shower. I like to shower in the evening. It relaxes me. Afterwards, I went to tape my foot back up, but could not figure out where we put the tape. I searched all over the house but never found it. Any calm I felt from the shower was gone by now. I was anxious and my foot was hurting. Its always worse at the end of the day. The boys were downstairs in the basement watching the Red Sox game. When my husband came up on a break from the game, I had finally given up on the tape. I asked him to help me find some. He asked me where I saw it last. Ugh! Seriously? If I knew that, I'd have found it. (Men! Well, at least the Sox won)
I took a deep breath and focused on watching my favorite Sunday night shows with my stepdaughter. I stayed up as late as I possibly could kind of fearing the bed. Would I toss and turn in the night? Its been six days since I injured my foot and its still bruised and swollen. I still don't know if its broken. I'll admit I don't want to go the doctor and have them cast it. How could I walk with a cast? Yeah, you know I would try. Years ago, when I was stationed in Arizona, I broke my wrist. I ran morning PT (physical training) a couple of times in that arm cast until someone with more rank than me said to stop.
Maybe, in a few more days, my foot will be all better. I did get up and walk this morning. I dug around in our son's scout first aid kit until I found some tape. I was able to do five miles on the treadmill at nearly my normal pace. One step at a time. I didn't risk an incline. I kept it at a setting of one. I also did fifty push ups, four hundred miscellaneous small weight repetitions, one hundred sit ups, and one hundred butt lifts.
Then, I came down and made my whey protein fruit smoothie drink. I went over to the couch, sat down, and elevated my foot. I don't think its ever been this ugly. I took a shower, then gave myself a pretty horrible pedicure. I focused on the day when I could get it professionally done again. Right now, no one is touching this foot.


No comments:

Post a Comment