Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Finding Balance In A World That Teeters


Yesterday, everything seemed to be coming together. Sure, the storm had basically killed three televisions, the phones, the air conditioning, the coffeemaker, the garage door opener, and an electric reclining chair, but we were all safe. The internet still worked and we still had three working televisions, two with cable. The AC had been repaired and the cable guy had fixed the phones. And I learned something in the process of all this. Surge protectors are not infallible.
But the best part was, once the cable guy left yesterday, I was able to get on the treadmill and walk five miles. By early afternoon, all was well in the world. My knee was hurting but my morale was undamaged.
I was making my son a late lunch when I felt a rumble. Artillery practice at the local Marine base? No, it was all wrong. I braced myself against the kitchen island and when I had the chance, moved to a doorway. My son came running upstairs. When the shaking stopped, I heard a knock at the door. Many of our neighbors were outside. One lady was holding a cell phone, "They felt that in Pennsylvania". Its funny, but I thought it was all pretty exciting. I don't remember ever feeling scared or worried. Maybe its because I've been to war. I mean, let's face it...I've been through much much worse.
The only bad thing was, after the earthquake, I got a migraine headache. I haven't had one in such a long time, I wasn't prepared for it like in the past. My body just felt...off. I keep thinking it might be the barometric pressure or something (I can always tell when a storm is coming). I ended up just going to bed early. I lay my head on the cool pillow and closed my eyes. After a while, I felt a hand on my forehead. I opened my eyes just a fraction. My son had come in to check on me, check my temperature. "You aren't warm." He asked if he could get me anything. Military kids grow up fast, especially those who have parents with medical issues.
He was five when his dad deployed to Iraq back in 2002. Back then, I suffered from migraines nearly every day. I would leave work, pick him up at daycare, then come home and lay down. With chronic migraines, sometimes it was difficult to be "mom". With family back east, it was really just the two of us. He became the man of the house, often taking on the role of my caregiver. When I had the attacks, he would stay with me until they were gone, gently rubbing my shoulders with his tiny hands (the little entrepreneur later discovered he could make money from his babysitters by giving neck and shoulder massages).
Now that he is a young man, whether its a headache, a twisted back, a broken toe, or a tiny cut, he still steps up to render first aid.
Anyway, it was a long night. My head throbbed. I tossed and turned. I slept late regardless of my kitty alarm clock. When I eventually got up, I felt better. My migraine was pretty much gone. I dressed in my work out clothes and went down for coffee. The news was all about the previous days events. Still, I didn't really feel like walking the treadmill. So, I went back upstairs and convinced my son to walk the neighborhood with me. You know...I can't believe he actually came along. But he did. It was a good walk, a slower pace than usual, but good bonding time. We talked about entering high school, about what he was excited about, and about anything he might be worried about.
Then, we talked about the earthquake. "Its way too early, you know". It took a minute or two for me to catch on. He was referring to December 2012 and the Mayan calendar. As we approached our street I changed the subject. I asked, "So, if dad and I downsize someday, where would you like us to live?" He says, "Just don't move to California. Its going to fall in to the ocean someday. If you move there, I'll have to come save you guys." I had to laugh. As serious as I can be, he can always make me laugh. In a world that teeters, its comforting to know he'll keep me balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment