Monday, August 15, 2011

Honey, I Know What I Want For My Birthday


Fifteen years ago, we were living in Springfield, Virginia. I was a Company Commander at the United States Army Information Systems Command- Fort Belvoir. It was the summer before I was pregnant with our youngest. We were always trying new things back then. So, one day, my husband and I figured we'd give rollerblading a try. It seemed everyone was doing it. To be perfectly honest, I thought it would be easy. After all, I grew up roller skating. As a kid, I had even dreamed of one day becoming a roller derby star (that was a short lived dream..I just wasn't mean enough). So, we set out on our new adventure. He thought it would be nice to roller blade down the Mount Vernon Trail, break them in. He said it was scenic. I'd never been there before that day. We got to the trail, donned our equipment (yes, with helmets and safety pads), and began rollerblading. At first, I absolutely loved it. I was instantly transported back to my childhood skating rink...the wind in my hair, the rush of speed. I was in heaven. What a gift he had given me.
Then, all of a sudden, I realized I was going too fast. I was going downhill and racing rapidly towards my husband of little more than a year. I didn't want to crash into him, hurt him. He was a keeper after all. As I went further down the hill, my speed steadily increased. Impact was inevitable. That was when I made the decision to attempt a stop. Its all a blur now, but here's where I screwed up. In my panic, I didn't think to use my roller blade stopper. Instead, I tried to stop like one would if wearing roller skates. If you aren't a skater, the roller blade stoppers are in a different location on the skate than a roller skate stopper. Anyway, down I went. At high speed, I went sliding across the pavement. My safety gear protected me some, but I was wearing shorts. When I finally came to a stop, I had a huge road burn on the side of my calf. My husband came back to where I fell, lifted me up with ease, and carried me back to car (it wasn't far). "Are you alright?" Well, despite the pain, I couldn't stop making jokes. I felt so stupid and clumsy. What was I going to do? Cry? After that, we were done. I would not roller blade the Mount Vernon trail. As a matter of fact, I would never roller blade again. We ended up selling both his and mine at a yard sale. We decided to opt for safer activities in the future. We tried to go back later, once I had healed, on bikes. But my knees keep me from going far. It just hurt too much.

Well, about this time every year, my husband asks me what I want for my 48th birthday (28 August).
Here goes...
"Honey, I want to try again. I want to walk the Mount Vernon Trail on my birthday...8 miles to Old Town Alexandria and back...and I want you to come with me. My birthday falls on a Sunday this year, a perfect day for a walk in a beautiful scenic area located near our nation's capital." I figure, after 850 miles, I've pretty mastered this walking thing. Maybe I've lessened my odds of injury. :P

If you are in the area, let my husband know. Maybe you can walk a bit with us. The more the merrier, I say, especially when it comes to getting healthy and fit. If you come, pack your granola bars or trail mix and don't forget plenty of water.

BTW "Sweetie, if you really feel compelled to buy me something...how about a new camera? Something I can just point and shoot, not worry about that focus thing." I like keeping everything uncomplicated. :)

http://www.mountvernon.org/visit/plan/index.cfm/pid/29/

No comments:

Post a Comment