Friday, August 5, 2011

All Grown Up


Last night, we got home late. We spent several hours at Carmax getting a car for our eldest boy. That's the third car we've shopped for. The kids are all grown up now. Our youngest is beginning high school, two of the kids are in college, and our eldest girl who's in the Peace Corps is getting married tomorrow...in Africa. The sad thing is we are unable to attend. Okay, maybe I am being overly emotional about the whole growing up thing. I know kids grow up, leave home, get married, etc. We did. I guess I will always see them as they were when they were little.
Anyway, when I got up this morning, it seemed I had lost all motivation to work out. Besides the fact that my foot was still hurting, my knee hurt too (its going to rain). We called our eldest girl to congratulate her.
Somehow, I didn't feel like walking. Yeah, I know...I must be sick or something right? Why didn't I want to walk? Walking is like breathing to me. I looked over and saw we were out of bananas. I decided I would just walk to the grocery store. Maybe it would help. My husband drove past. I caught a ride with him to the store. Shame on me. Well, as least I would walk home. When I got home, our eldest son was mowing the lawn. I could help. Maybe not. He was nearly done anyway. Ugh..
What is wrong with me? I walked around the house. I knocked out one hundred push ups. I went in to the gym and did four hundred small weight repetitions. Even watching the news didn't help. I got to talking with our eldest boy about his sister's wedding. He says, "This is so surreal. After tomorrow, she'll be..you know...married, not single anymore." We talked about how much we missed her and how happy she and her beloved are. Then, we sat down and looked at wedding photos from 1995...when he was the ring bearer at our wedding. I think it helped us both.
I decided it was a good day to stay busy. I took the kids shopping for school clothes, got one of the cars washed and vacuumed out, and filled the tank. What I was really filling was time. The older kids went to a movie. Our youngest was upstairs strumming away on his guitar. I had a few minutes alone. My husband walked in and I lost it. "They are all grown now, " I cried. He gave me a hug and said, "You'll always have me." Then he added, "lets go to Wegmans"
Now, believe it or not...I feel better. C'est La Vie. Smile. Congratulations to the happy couple. We love you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment