Sunday, August 28, 2011

You Are Stronger Than You Think You Are



This morning, we got up and drove to Mount Vernon. Its my 48th birthday today and I told the boys all I really wanted was to walk from Mount Vernon to Old Town Alexandria, part of the Mount Vernon Trail. It totaled 16 miles there and back. It wasn't an easy walk. Hurricane Irene hit last night and there was a lot of debris left behind. There were several downed trees we had to literally climb over or through, and the path was covered in sticks, gum balls, and such. I must have twisted my ankle a half dozen times not to mention my knees.







We had packed only water, granola bars, and tootsie rolls (my husband packed the backpack), but we enjoyed every bit of it. It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining and, in the shade, there was a cool welcoming breeze. And we weren't alone. There were bikers, joggers, walkers, and even a few fishermen out enjoying the day. You never would have guessed a hurricane had come through just hours earlier. You know, we were all tested physically, but I know in my heart, this is a day none of us will ever forget. We'll, I'd better go. Time to join my husband in the Jacuzzi. Happy Birthday to me. Sweetie, where's my drink?







No comments:

Post a Comment