Monday, August 22, 2011

A Plan To Eat Foods That Heal



My Personal Workout Journey So Far

Total Miles Walked - 888//
Weight Reps - 45,120 (5lb weights, 10-15lb kettle bells, curl bar, 6 or 8lb medicine ball)//
Sit ups, crunches - 12,000//
Push ups - 5000 (added 21 February)//
Butt Lifts - 6900 (newly added 25 March)

This is where I stand as far as my workout goes, but how am I doing with my eating habits? So far, so good. Everyday, I wake up with the plan that I will try to eat primarily "healing foods" in addition to vitamins and a few supplemental boosters such as whey protein powder to help fill me up.
http://www.foods-that-heal.com/index.html (the information is all out there...and its free).

A typical day always begins with two glasses of water and a decaf coffee. Its usually 1000hrs before I've completed my workout and shower. After my workout, I follow with a whey protein smoothie. In my smoothie, I have the protein powder, but I also have lots of fruit...blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and banana. This gives me my post work out boost. With the smoothie, I always pour an additional glass of water on the side.
Two hours later, at around noon, I eat a high protein Greek yogurt and mix it with a serving of bear naked protein granola. I have a glass of water with this also. I have healthy snacks at 1400hrs and 1600hrs...usually fruits or nuts. For a real treat, I slice green peppers and dip them in Garlic or roasted red pepper hummus (better than crackers). In the evening, I prefer to keep it light. Sometimes, I just make a meal of veggies. Sometimes I eat seafood.
I love seafood. A good friend of ours gave my husband a supply of fresh fish, from his recent fishing trip in Alaska, when he met up with him recently on a work trip. That should last a while. I fill up on veggies like spinach, broccoli, squash, mushrooms, or cauliflower. The other night, my husband sliced two avocados. We put it in the fridge to chill and had them as a side dish with our dinner. For dessert, there are always low calorie jello and jello puddings in the fridge. And if we want someone really sweet, there is sugar free dark chocolate in the candy dish. We might also have hot tea.
Now, don't get me wrong. We don't eat only healthy foods. We love our red wine (Oh wait, isn't that good for your heart)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beverages/9198/2

Okay, I know for a fact we are sometimes naughty...

Wait a minute, I know...we had Chinese take out the other day. Hot and sour soup? Way too much sodium. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/soups-sauces-and-gravies/10653/2 Guess I'll have to cut back on that.

Okay, I am getting addicted to this nutrition data web link. Give it a try. Just type in a food and it gives you all the data you need to make smarter choices. Then go back to the foods that heal...
In the end, you'll feel better. Better go. Its time for my Greek yogurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment