Sunday, August 14, 2011

Daddy's Home


Its been a slow week. My husband was off on one of his work trips. I am used to getting up with him in the morning, having our coffee together, and starting my work out after he has left for work. I guess I should be somewhat thankful the cat kept me on track with her early morning wake up calls. I'm sure she was just hungry, but really how did she always have me up before 0700hrs? I mean, does she have some kind of internal knack for knowing when breakfast should be. Weird, huh? So, every day this week, I got up, fed her, and went down for my morning workout. Sometimes that meant a walk on the treadmill and sometimes that meant a walk outside. Yesterday was Saturday. Saturday is normally a recovery day, but I really wanted to get out of the house. I convinced our son to go to the mall with me. How did I convince a teenage boy to hang with his mom at the mall. Here is my secret. 1) Bribe him with a trip to the bookstore. I know he has a kindle and he downloads most of his books, but Bookstores still have items that you really don't want to download to a kindle like guitar sheet music. 2) Promise you won't hang if they don't want to. Teenagers need their space and they embarrass easily. As long as they have cell phones, the mall is a fairly safe environment. They can always flag down one of those security guards on their segways if need be. 3) Take them to Costco. Who doesn't love Costco? I love the free samples. It is the only place in town where I can get him to try new things, expand his foodie horizons so to speak. Yesterday, he ate roast beef. He even tried Salmon. I know, right? I can see a light at the end of tunnel...the end of grilled cheese, cheese pizza, cheese sticks, macaroni and cheese, etc...
I had my pedometer. We were mall walking. It was a good day. But the best part was, Daddy came home. Being a parent sometimes feels like a tag team wrestling match. I got this mission. You've got that. The constant comparing of calendars. Its like juggling, a continued effort not to drop the ball(s). But when Daddy is home, all is well. You can breathe, relax, even take personal time. We are so fortunate that the deployment days are over for us.
My husband got in late last night. This morning, he had to go back in to the office to pick up some paperwork. He invited me along. We stopped and had a lovely breakfast at Bob Evans. Luckily, when we got there..no line. On the way out, there were at least twenty-twenty five folks waiting. We both made smart choices too. I had one of those egg white omelets with spinach, green peppers, and tomatoes (no cheese), a side fruit cup, one slice of dry whole wheat bread, a decaf coffee and a glass of water. It was yummy and filling. I like Bob Evans. They have a healthy menu and they are always willing to make substitutions if you like. For example, I don't like uncooked onions, but I love green peppers. Check out their fit menu. http://bobevans.com/Menu/Category/71/Fit-from-the-Farm-
With Bob Evans, you can also order on-line or through an APP on your phone. How cool is that? I don't even have one of smart phones and I still think that is cool. If you haven't been in a while, treat yourself. The food is good and the service is as well...lots of pleases and thank yous...lots of warm smiles (I like to go places where the folks are friendly). Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Its going to rain here. Mmmm...I think I might go play in the puddles.

No comments:

Post a Comment