Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Lazy Sunday Afternoon


We let the older kids chill this morning. I persuaded our youngest to go to Target with me to pick up a few essentials. Isn't it funny how I could spend $80 just on essentials? To make matters worse, its the final day of the tax free weekend. But, I really can't do without my fruit, my bear naked granola, my hummus, etc. I picked up a few back to school supplies too. It all adds up.
In the afternoon, we all went to see the new "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" movie at our local theater ($45 for five to see the movie and another $38 for water, popcorn, nachos). I've seen all the "Apes" movies (from 1968-1973). I grew up imagining what it would be like to attend "Ape College", to possibly meet actors like Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowell. I can remember running around the house playing chimpanzee, making ooh ooh sounds and grunting noises (stop laughing...I was a little kid).
When I married, I stopped watching them. My husband is not a fan of the old series of films, and neither of us liked the 2001 remake. Today was special, not only because we all went to see the same movie but because, without even knowing it, we proved something to ourselves. Sometimes in life, you have to give things (and people) a second chance. We all enjoyed this new "Planet of the Apes". On the way out of the theater, we talked about what would be in the sequel.
On the drive home, I wondered what would happen if, despite my injuries, the Army gave me a second chance. I think a lot of veterans wonder about this after they retire. They say old soldiers never die. They just fade away. I don't know about the others, but I am not a "fade away" kind of girl. What's next for me? I don't know. Is there still an ape college out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment