Monday, August 29, 2011

We All Get The Urge Now And Then


There was no question in anyone's mind. After yesterday's sixteen mile hike from Mount Vernon up to Old Town Alexandria and back, we were taking a recovery day today. My husband and son both woke up with pain behind their knees. Strangely, my pain is pretty minimal this morning. I had quite a bit of pain yesterday, but once we'd spent some time in the Jacuzzi, I felt much better. Other than a sore back, I feel good (remember, I have been told I have a couple of bone spurs, a herniation, and a straightened C-spine). Nothing is twinging. Its just muscle soreness and that's a good thing. My husband asked me on the ride home if I felt accomplished. You know what? I do...and I think they do too.
He seemed a bit disappointed that I didn't want a birthday cake yesterday, but he quickly got over it. I am a different woman now and he completely supports that. The cake? It would have been for them, not me. Like I really wanted to blow out 48 candles...Ugh..I mean, the fire department was busy enough with all the hurricane aftermath.
Instead, I opted for a Jello temptation 100 calorie cup of Lemon Meringue Pie. Choices again. I love keeping the Jello desserts on hand. I must have one every night (Jello gelatin or Jello pudding).
I also love these new Extra dessert delights chewing gums. They are only five calories each and they easily satisfy the urge for sweets. Come on...we all get the urge now and then. There is Apple Pie, Strawberry Shortcake, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, and Orange Cream Pop. My personal favorite is the Apple Pie flavor. No, its not quite the same as diving into a real all American Apple Pie, but just like the Jello desserts, it is a healthy alternative. I'm all about the healthy alternatives. They keep me on track.
Sure...every now and then, I still have a slice of pie. But, when I do, I like to share. Just ask my husband. I always eat the yummy filling and he gets the crust. Hey, that is too sharing... :)



No comments:

Post a Comment