Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Cereal Without Sugar? Yeah, right...


My husband asked me to pick up some raisin bran on my trip to Target last night, so I put it on the shopping list along with bananas and milk. When I was heading out the door, he decided to come along, a short break from sitting at the computer all day. It was nice to have company. We grabbed everything on the list except for Greek yogurt and cereal. They were out the Greek yogurts I like. I am leaning more and more towards the Vanilla or plain because of the calories. Unfortunately, it seems I'm not alone. Guess I'l have to try another store.
We went to the cereal aisle. He grabbed his favorite raisin bran. I said, "How about we try something new." He agreed. Let's check all the labels and see which one has the least amount of sugar. Next thing we knew, we had donned our reading glasses. We began grabbing boxes of cereal one by one and reading the grams of sugar aloud. "This one is only twelve", he says. "Ugh, I got a fourteen", I replied. "Fifteen",he says,"this is crazy. Can't we just get the twelve?" Soon, it became a game of sorts. We had drifted off the raisin bran and we were grabbing any cereal...surely there had to be something out there reasonably low in sugar.
Some lady saw us. "They all have too much for me, but then again, I'm menopausal. I can't lose weight no matter what I try." I fought the urge to talk about the blog. I just smiled and continued our mission to find a cereal that made sense...The lady walked away, on her own quest for pancake mix.
Finally, I found it. Fiber one original...whole grain guaranteed, 14grams of fiber (57% of my daily value of fiber according to the box), only sixty calories per serving, and get this...NO SUGAR. Jackpot! When I brought it home, I gave it a try. I mixed it with blueberries and my soy milk. The box had come with two individual bags inside, so I took one, clipped it together with a clothespin, and stuck it conveniently in the basket we keep our bear naked granola.
Well, our son came home and saw the bag in the kitchen basket. "Mom, Did we get turtles?" I gave him a strange look. "No, why would you ever think we bought turtles?" "You have turtle food." He pointed at the Fiber One. I laughed.
I'll admit, it doesn't look very appetizing. Had I not been on a mission, I might never have bought it. I can't remember the last time I ate cereal (primarily because of all the sugar). But you know what? This stuff is much tastier than it looks.
Oh, I forgot to mention. My husband got one of his own. He selected the Fiber One honey clusters. Its also whole grain, but it only has 13 grams of fiber (51% of your daily value of fiber), and one hundred and sixty calories (I know, right?). The selling feature? It is also low in sugar, only six grams. And its higher in protein than the original, three grams. The original has two grams of protein. I think we made some pretty good decisions, don't you? I guess my days of avoiding cereal are over.

I had a bit of trouble sleeping last night. I was up even before the cat. I got up at 0400hrs and, for some reason, could not get back to sleep. Not sure why. If I had had a bad dream, I can't remember it. Nothing hurt and I wasn't anxious about anything. I stayed in bed, but kind of just lay there. When my husband got up for work, I went down with him. "I'm going to walk outside today." He smiles. He likes to see me get out of the house. I walked down to end of the driveway and attempted to turn on my iPod. It had lost its charge. My husband was backing up his truck. "What's wrong?" "My iPod isn't working." In the past, I might have abandoned my efforts, but I really felt like stretching it out. So I walked the four mile neighborhood route with no music. It was quiet except for the traffic humming by. Still, it was cool and there was a nice breeze. My knee gave out once, but nothing I couldn't handle. I figured the big guy was telling me that rain was coming soon. When I got home, there was a note on the door. The maids, who were supposed to come at 1400hrs, had come at 0800hrs. Ugh. I called and they said they could come at 1100. I woke our son...lawn mowing day. I told him I was going down to the gym downstairs to finish my workout. When I got down there, I felt like I still wanted to walk more. I had enough time so I hopped up on the treadmill. I figured I'd walk until he finished the lawn. By the time he came down, I was working on my fourth mile so I just kept walking. In the end, I walked nine miles today. Why? In the words of Forrest Gump, "I just felt like it."
The maids are here now and yes, I am finally tired. Think I can manage a nap?

No comments:

Post a Comment