Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Woman In The Maze


I didn't have time to work out this morning. I had to take our youngest to his High School Orientation. They had breakfast waiting for the parents...the biggest donuts I've ever seen, juice and coffee. I was smart. I made my protein smoothie before we left. Choices...
Still, at around 1100hrs, I started to feel my stomach rumble. When the presentation was over, we bought some "spirit wear", pre-paid for school lunches, and headed out. I know he wanted to hang with his friends, but I lured him away with the promise of a Starbuck's frappuccino followed by a visit to Taco Bell. Hey, whatever works, right? My frappuccino was sugar free hazelnut with soy milk, and no whipped cream.
He's excited about returning to school, but I know its going to be a culture shock. Its been thirty years, and my class was significantly smaller in comparison (we had 98 graduates, he will have over 500), but I still remember what it was like.
I think entering high school is much like being the man in the maze.
The maze is a symbol of life, of happiness and sadness. You enter the maze with dreams, goals. You reach them little by little (one journey at a time). They may even change as you reach them putting you on a different course. When you get to the middle of the maze, you move on, either turning around and coming back or proceeding forward. Maybe you find your way. Maybe you don't. Some spend their entire lives lost in the maze.
You have so much to think about. The plan is...you have four years to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. You are told to have fun, enjoy the experience, join clubs, try sports. Oh and while you are doing that...get good grades in advanced classes, because college is next and it is highly competitive.
Its enough to make your head spin completely around. In addition, you will be constantly distracted by friends, cell phones, video games, Facebook, etc. But don't worry. If you don't figure it all out in time, there is always college. By then, everyone wants to know...what's your major? Hint..."I don't know" is not on the academically approved list of college majors.
Ugh...I know. Can't you just finish school, and get a job sleeping late, watching movies and playing video games? Or better yet...can't mom and dad just support you until you find a sugar momma or sugar daddy to take over the bills? Yes, there will be bills. Too many I'm afraid. Be prepared.

Its like Rodney Dangerfield said in "Back To School."

Thornton Melon: "Boy, what a great-looking place. When I used to dream about going to college, this is the way I always pictured it."
Jason Melon: "Wait a minute. When did you dream about going to college?"
Thornton Melon: "When I used to fall asleep in high school."

I didn't fall asleep in high school, but I left still seeking my path, still lost in that proverbial maze. I was the artistic one. I wasn't officially "college bound" as my school counselor used to say. My high school curriculum consisted of primarily four subjects...Art, Drama, Music, and the stuff I was forced to take (English, Math, history...you get the idea). I did have straight A's, but it wasn't really that difficult. I was pretty talented. :)
I joined the Army right after graduation because I wanted to see the world, and because, if I stayed home, I was expected to pay rent to my father upon reaching my eighteen birthday.

I eventually made it into college (based ironically on my high school grade point average), worked hard, and graduated in 3 1/2 years. Still, I was lost in the maze. Looking back, I put up barriers that didn't need to exist. I was distracted by my career, my commitments, and my injuries. Today, those barriers seem insignificant. Yes, even my injuries...

remember...they are only potholes in the road

Today, I have my spirit, my "Hooah" back. I may not have a career anymore, but I do have a wonderful, loving and supportive family. And I have you...there with me...committed to making better, healthier, smarter choices. Together, we can get through the maze.

No comments:

Post a Comment