Sunday, September 18, 2011

Wild Hurley's, Jacuzzi's, And Saggy Bottoms


This morning, my husband and I got up early.  We had coffee, yogurt, and headed out to meet some friends at the Starbucks.  There was a scheduled local poker run at Whitt's Harley Davidson dealership in Manassas, Virginia.   http://www.whittshd.com/event_calendar.asp?loadpage=no  It was a chilly morning, but I just knew it would be a perfect day for a ride.  Its been a while since we've ridden together.  I didn't realize how long it had been until it came time to leave and I was still frantically searching for my gloves.  Then, I tried on my coat and it was bigger than I remembered.  Mmmm?  What's up with that?  Did I shrink?  No matter.  It would have to do.  The last time we rode together, it was a miserable rainy day.  I remember coming in out of the cold to buy a dry sweatshirt at the dealership sponsoring the event.  The Redskins cheerleaders were there.  They autographed a calendar for our son's 13th birthday.  Well, he turns 14 in a few weeks.  I guess its been longer than I thought.  Our rides are too few and too far between.  Maybe its time to move back to Arizona.  We rode year round when we were there.
Cruising along the back roads, we saw hawks gliding overhead, horses and cows grazing, and numerous homes for sale.  Little kids in the back of minivans would wave and smile as we passed.  Initially, there were only three or four bikes in our little group but, by the fourth of five stops, we had more than twenty bikes riding together in a group.  It was positively exhilarating.  I imagined we were tough bikers like on "The Sons Of Anarchy", but to be honest, we are more like the "Wild Hogs"...The two of us...we were the "Wild Hurley's".  With "Wild Hurley's", there is a lot less trouble...and a lot more.."Thank you for serving" and "Where did you get that jacket?"
On our poker run, we drew a card at every stop.  Between the two of us, I had the better hand...two pair...8's and 7's (with an Ace high).  It wasn't the best of all the riders, but it didn't matter.  We weren't really there to play poker.  We were just there to raise money for charity, put some miles on the bike, and spend some quality time together as a couple.   And that, we did in spades.  : )
At the end of the ride, they were serving hot dogs, but I wasn't even tempted.  I had stashed a protein bar in our saddlebags just in case.  I grabbed a bottle of water to go with it and I was set.  
We came back home and immediately grabbed our bathing suits.  We aren't kids anymore.  Though we loved every minute of out day together, we had both gotten a little stiff on the long, cold ride.  Time for a Bailey's on the rocks and a dip in the Jacuzzi.  Well, when I was rushing to get to the warm bubbly water, I grabbed an old suit by mistake.  As it turned out, it was at least two to three sizes too big.  Why was that even in the drawer?  No worries.  After the Jacuzzi, it was thrown in the trash.   No sense hanging on to the past.  After all, I am not really a saggy bottom kind of girl.        

No comments:

Post a Comment