Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Shape You Are In

Yesterday, I went out to Wegman's.  As my father would've said, I had a hankering to make a nice dinner.  I decided on roasted red pepper and pesto chicken breast, with a side of spinach.  The chicken breasts were already made.  You just needed to bake them.  They even give you the time and temperature.  I like easy as well as healthy.  The only issue was they were huge!  Maybe in the past we would've been able to each eat a whole one, but not anymore.  That was the old "us".  Now, one would suffice.  We would split the breast.  I just added a yummy appetizer...crab stuffed mushrooms to the dinner plan (also bake and serve).  
I mentioned yesterday about the teeny fruit flies.  Well, the whole vinegar fruit fly trap thing might have been poor judgment on my part.  I have a problem with vinegar.  It triggers my migraines.  I've had several triggers since the on set of my migraines back during Desert Storm.  I'm not really sure how they began (oil fires, sand fleas, or that vaccine they gave us at the beginning of the war).  I just know, I have to avoid the triggers.  Sometimes, after all the change I've been through, I forget there are things still wrong with me.  I guess its like Dr. Seuss said.  
"You're in pretty good shape for the shape you are in". 
Anyway, my husband had to throw the vinegar trap away last night.  I had tried my best to hold my breath whenever I went in to the kitchen, but I guess that it followed me somehow.  He said he couldn't smell anything.  To me, it was as strong as the smell of a skunk that had just met its fate on a country road.  The good news is, for those not allergic or sensitive to vinegar, it actually seemed to be working.  I caught one fruit fly and another was hovering anxiously by before we had to discard it.  I think there is only one latecomer.  I wonder what their lifespan is.  Now I am going back and forth as to whether or not to get fresh fruit.  Yes, in the end, I probably will.  Fresh is always best. 
I went to bed with that migraine last night and this morning, I woke with it.  I was determined not to take any over the counter medications.  I don't use the prescription stuff anymore.  At first, I thought a cup of coffee would help equalize it, but then I remembered I'd switched to decaf.  Okay,  maybe I would walk outside today...get some fresh air.  It was chilly, so I put on a sweatshirt.  You can't really tell from the photo my husband took, but I am wearing my ford cares sweatshirt and hat.  http://www.ford.com/warriorsinpink/  I bought it a few years back, even before I owned a Ford, to aid in their fight against breast cancer.  Now its way too big on me.  The line of clothing features the warrior symbols representing strength, hope, love and courage.  One hundred percent of the net proceeds help support the Susan G. Komen charity.    
My husband and I put out the donation bags for the Lupus Foundation and I went walking.  My head was throbbing, so I started my walk with soothing but upbeat music.  The cool air was great for the migraine pain.  It was early, so I didn't need to worry about the sun (bright light can intensify the pain).  About a half mile from home, my knees began to act up (yes, both of them).  I just slowed my pace and kept walking.  Eventually, I made it home, but I had only logged four miles.  Not good enough.  I decided to hop on the treadmill and do two more.  Then, I followed with fifty push ups.  By the time I did fifty or so sit ups, I thought my body would give out.  Everything hurt.  I pushed myself to one hundred, then stopped for the day.  No weights, no butt lifts.  I had reached exhaustion.  No worries.  After all, I did do six miles today, right?  And I did that with a migraine, a bad back, and weak knees.  I slowly ascended the stairs.  Shower time.  But I didn't make that far.  As soon as I saw the bed, I collapsed.  The overhead fan was on and it felt amazing.  I just lay there for, I don't know...ten minutes?  Then I rolled off the bed and headed for the shower.  Today, I earned it.  Afterwards, I felt better...not perfect, but better than before.  After all, I am in pretty good shape for the shape I am in.     
Hey, wait a minute...there's a knocking at our door.  Its the UPS dude with our part for the Sleep Number bed.  Good thing.  We each slept in our own individual crater last night.  Maybe tonight, we'll get some much needed rest.   : )       

No comments:

Post a Comment