Friday, September 16, 2011

Trying New Things


Turkey bacon BLT on toasted Smart bread


“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.” ~ Unknown


Anyone who has been reading my blog knows I am big on trying new things.  This year, I have experimented with new products, we've have family run taste tests, and we've added things to our shopping lists that we might never have enjoyed...had we not been brave enough to try them.  We've added things like blackberries, avocado, hummus, pomegranate, whole wheat, granola, Greek yogurt, and soy products.   
I drink  8-10 glasses of water a day.  
When I order from a restaurant, I lean towards fish or poultry, I always ask for double the veggies, and salad dressing is now a side that I rarely even touch.  Soda?  Bottom line.  Its a mixer or I don't have it.   I've made turkey chili, chicken fajitas, ground turkey stuffed peppers, eggplant parmesan, slice pepper hummus wraps, portobello Swiss veggie burgers, etc.  I am always trying new recipes.  
Nearly every day, I have a whey protein fruit smoothie, a Greek yogurt with granola, an apple, grapes, or some other fruit snack, almonds, etc.  Some might think you have to deny yourself food to maintain a healthy weight.  Let me tell you...I eat.  I eat like every two hours...just small portions...and I try to make good choices.  
My father used to love his BLT's.  Greasy Bacon, crisp lettuce, sliced tomato, and mayonnaise on white bread.   Well, the other day I had a serious craving for one of those BLT's but I wasn't ready to give up on my commitment to stay away from bacon and pork.  It may have been a wild idea at first, but as the year has progressed, I have seen serious improvements in my overall health (not to mention my skin).   So, how was I going to get that craving satisfied before it drove me over the edge?  I was in Target and I saw it right next to the pork bacon.  I thought why not give it a try?  I picked up both pork bacon and the turkey bacon.  Why?  My husband has been wonderful trying new things with me this year but, unlike me, he still eats pork and beef.  I didn't want to force him.  After all, he's eaten everything I've made even when his heart wasn't really in it.   I wanted him to have a choice.  I was surprised when he said we should only make the turkey bacon.   
Together, we stood at the kitchen island and created our individual sandwiches.  It was fun.  Mine was turkey bacon, romaine lettuce (the darker the lettuce, the better), fresh sliced tomatoes, on toasted whole wheat Wonder Smart bread (only 50 calories a slice).  I love this bread!  It looks like white bread, but its actually a healthy high fiber wheat bread (Shhh..our kid thinks its white bread).   BTW...no mayonnaise.  It has enough flavor.  It doesn't need it.  
Peanut Butter and Turkey Bacon on toasted Smart bread
There is absolutely no reason to eat what our parents ate unless of course, we want to continue to have the same health issues they did.  Experiment.  Make substitutions.  Remember the film "Heartbreak Ridge"?  Learn to "Improvise, adapt, and overcome".       
My husband made his sandwich with turkey bacon and crunchy peanut butter (also on toast).  We used to have these ages ago when we would stay at our friend's cabin.  I remember thinking they were the weirdest idea for a sandwich I'd ever heard of, but you know what?  YUM! (and great for hangovers)  
We added a side veggie (peas) and we both satisfied our personal cravings.  Turkey bacon is higher in sodium  than its pork relative (but lower in fat) but, if you are on a diet restriction or for some other reason you don't eat pork, give it a try.  Never be afraid to try something new.      


     

No comments:

Post a Comment