Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Its For A Good Cause

This morning, it was just me and our youngest getting ready.  School picture day and yes, as luck would have it, it was raining.  He just looked at me, smiled and said, "My hair looks better wet anyway."  Once he was out the door, I went down to our home gym, wrapped the "Sportline" walking belt around my waist and hit the treadmill.  My back and knees always act up when the weather is bad.  Today, possibly with the addition of the support belt, my back held up pretty good. My knees were another story.  But, I still managed an incline up to ten.  At the end of the five miles, I had burned close to six hundred calories.  I felt much better.  I downed a glass of water I had brought with me, then got into push up position.  I knocked out my fifty push ups before I realized I was still wearing the belt.  I decided to keep it on for the sit ups, but it came off when I did my butt lifts.  By the time I got to my weight reps, I had to get out of my shirt.  It was soaked.
Afterwards, I went up, took a much needed shower, then came back down.  I pulled out the ingredients for my daily whey protein smoothie.  All the fruit I had in the fridge had gone bad, so I pulled out the frozen stuff.  Mmmm...Mango, peach, banana today.  Yum.
It was still raining and I didn't much feel like going out, but we needed cat food and there was dry cleaning to drop off.  I dropped off the clothes, then headed over to the nearby Target.
Last week, at the grocery store, I had to buy a different Greek yogurt than I usually get.  I have grown accustomed to getting the Vanilla flavor for its lower calorie count and my usual brand was out at the time.  So, I bought Dannon Oikos Greek Vanilla.  I noticed that the Oikos Greek was donating to Breast Cancer Awareness.  And they made it very easy to donate.  All you had to do was go online and type in the code on the inside label.
Well, today, I decided to check and see who else was going pink and donating to Breast Cancer Awareness.  I honestly thought I would find more products in the grocery section.  After all, there are a lot of pink ribbon products out there...clothes, jewelry, even household appliances, all donating a portion of profits to this wonderful cause.  But, strangely, as far as grocery products went, I found very few displaying that hard to miss pink ribbon.
Yoplait was probably the first to step up with their pink lids a few years back which they still do, but they require a little more effort.  You have to mail them in.  When our neighbor's daughter was collecting them for her sorority, I always saved them for her.  Unfortunately, she has moved away.
I commend Dannon for their idea to put the code on the inside label.  No need to pay postage and handling.  Anyway, if you need yogurt and you are open minded about trying different brands, give these a shot.  I know 10cents a label isn't much, but every little bit helps and, with enough of them, its adds up.  Besides, its for a good cause and well...you needed yogurt anyway, right?

                                             Sugar           Calories        Protein
Dannon Light and Fit (6oz)       11g               80                 5g
Dannon Activia (4oz)                 7g                70                 5g
Dannon Oikos Greek (5.3oz)   18g              120                12g
Yoplait Light (6oz)                   15g              110                6g

http://www.dannon.com/
http://yoplait.com/
    

No comments:

Post a Comment