Friday, September 30, 2011

The Mistress Of My Fate


Okay, when I say "Mistress", I am referring to the lessor known definition which is the old fashioned form of address for "Lady of the House" rather than the definition most will think of first.  You see, when it comes to my fitness fate, so to speak, I am the head of the household.  I choose.  I firmly believe the benefits or drawbacks I experience are based on those choices.  
This morning, I was in a lot of pain, mostly from my knees.  The seasons are changing and as my grandmother used to say, "the cold is getting in to my joints".  The smallest feat of just walking down the stairs is a challenge to me on days such as this.  
I'm way too young to be hurting like this, but I refuse to whine about it.  
Remember the film "Invictus"?  Remember the poem Morgan Freeman (portraying Nelson Mandela) writes to Matt Damon (portraying the Springbok Team Captain Francois Pienaar) as he faces the biggest challenge of his life, leading South Africa to win the World Cup in rugby?  Well, we all face challenges in life.  But no matter the challenge, we as individuals are the masters/mistresses of our own fate.  
My knee would not keep me from meeting my fitness goals today.  I walked the neighborhood, iPod in my pocket.  I walked four miles regardless of the pain I felt.  I walked slower, but I was still walking.  I focused on the music, and on my journey, and in the end...I made it home without tears (though I may have limped a smidgen).    
When I got home from my walk, my knee was sore.  I thought perhaps if I walked the treadmill for a while, I might somehow warm it up.  Okay, don't ask where my logic comes from.  It just comes, alright?  So, after cautiously descending the stairs to the basement gym, I hopped on the treadmill.  I set the pace slower than usual and I did not attempt an incline of more than one (if you incline zero, you are basically walking downhill).  About a half mile in, my right knee gave under me.  It would have thrown me, but fortunately, I was holding on at the time checking my heart rate (which was excellent by the way).  When it gave, I caught myself, but I kept walking slow and easy.  I did two complete miles before I finally stopped.  I suppose I could have cursed my knees, my injuries, even my body...but it would have been a waste of time to do so.  This is the only body I would get.  I have to do what I can to strengthen it.  And it was stronger, much stronger than before.  I knew it.  
Once I got off the treadmill, I wanted to stop, go upstairs, and rest, but I told myself I could at least do a basic Army PT test kind of workout..some push ups and sit ups.  So I did my fifty push ups and my hundred sit ups.  Then I thought, why not just finish my workout?  Last chance, you know?  Tomorrow was Saturday, a recovery day.  I did one hundred butt lifts and three hundred weight repetitions.  I looked in the mirror as I did my weight repetitions.  My husband was right.  My arms look fantastic now.  : )
Before long, I stopped thinking about my stupid knees.  I came up, took a long hot shower, and made my smoothie drink.  I'm all out of bananas now.  Maybe, I'll walk to the grocery store.  Then again, maybe I'll drive.  Today, I deserve it.   
             
In case you missed it, this is the William Earnest Henley poem they used in the film "Invictus"

"Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be 

For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance 

My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years 

Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll, 
I am the master of my fate: 
I am the captain of my soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment