Saturday, October 1, 2011

Walking Away My Pain



 This morning, I was feeling a little sad.  Traditionally, on the first weekend in October, my husband and I pull the pumpkins down from the overhead storage area and decorate our home together.  He isn't around this weekend, a work trip.  I seriously contemplated trying to do it myself, but my knee was still bothering me.  I imagined trying to climb the ladder.  I'd probably fall off.   Don't give me that look.  It could happen.  I am a klutz, after all.  For the safety of myself and those around me, rarely do I ever ascend ladders.
Besides, I would have no one to hold it.

Our son was off on a paintball challenge today with his friends.  Why didn't I go?  I could have, but parents were only invited as spectators.  I would have loved to have tried.  But, with my military background, I would have had a distinct advantage that young male teenagers would never understand.  I am, in their eyes...just a mom.  How would it have looked when I beat them? Mmmm?  It might have scarred them for life.
So, I decided to try and hit the Occoquan Farmers Market, but unfortunately, by the time he left, it was too late.  It had ended at noon.  Maybe, next weekend...
I went back and forth as to what I should do with my day off.  My husband called and suggested I see a movie, but I was worried my knee would stiffen up while I sat there in the theater.   http://www.livestrong.com/article/457879-can-walking-exercise-cure-arthritis/
One thing I know about arthritis is...movement is a good thing.  Its not good to be sedentary.   I wanted to recover over the weekend so I could get back to my routine by Monday.
Just for the heck of it, I put my pedometer on and ran (well...walked) a few errands.  I always manage to get in a few additional steps just from parking at the far end of the lot.  Today, being a Saturday, that was not a problem.  The stores are always packed on weekends.  I could not have parked any further out.
I stopped at Wegman's and picked up a few groceries, then headed over to Costco for the stuff we positively have to have in bulk...like Goldfish crackers.  If you have kids of any age, you understand.  By the time I got back to the car, I had already logged a mile and I wasn't even trying.
I came home and unloaded the car.  It was only 1400hrs and I wasn't ready to stay in as yet.  The walking was helping with the pain.  Even the chill in the air didn't seem to be bothering my injury.  So, I hopped back in the car and drove over the Occoquan anyway.  I parked way down at the end of the street under the overpass.  There were a few folks out, but I really expected more for such a beautiful day.  We have had so much bad weather lately.
Occoquan is a great place for early Christmas shopping.  I guess most of the customers left after the farmer's market packed up for the day.  No crowds.  No worries.  I popped in to "The Golden Goose" and browsed their Halloween section.  I figured it would make me feel better, having missed the ceremonial home pumpkin decorating time with my husband.  It did.  And I bought a new pumpkin for the collection.  http://www.goldgoose.com/  The Golden Goose is not only one of the best places I know of to get Christmas ornaments and decorations, but their Halloween and Thanksgiving sections are excellent as well.  Need a hostess gift or something for a housewarming, stop there.  You won't need to go further, that is, unless you just want to spend more money and well...waste a lot of time.  
I walked all the way down to the wine shop and polka dot diva's.    http://www.polkadotdivas.com/  In front of Polka Dot Divas, there was a couple with two little girls.  From the store front window, you can't really tell how fun the store really is.  They were debating as to whether or not to go in.  I said, "If you have girls, you have to go in Divas."  They went in.  The little girls absolutely loved it.  I left with a promise to bring my stepdaughter there first chance we got for a belated "girl to girl" wedding gift.  : )  You know, we might just have to hit several stores in Occoquan.  I know she loves Vera Bradley and the Ka Lei Pua store is right there next to the Irish store.  http://www.irishco.com/
As I was heading back to the car, I thought about stopping in the Occoquan Inn AKA Virginia Grill http://www.occoquaninn.com/  for some of their delicious peanut soup, but I didn't want to sit at a table by myself...way too depressing.  As I passed by Madigan's Grill, http://www.madiganswaterfront.com/ the amazing smells were doing their best to lure me in.  Okay, it was obvious.  I was getting hungry.  Time to go home before I turned around and hit the fudge and ice Cream shop I saw on that side road.  
I was nearly to the car when I looked down at my pedometer and noticed that I had walked two miles today without even trying.  But the best part was my knee was feeling better.  Not a bad recovery day if you ask me.           
  





No comments:

Post a Comment