Monday, October 17, 2011

Leaving The Couch Potato At Home

This past weekend, we finally went out and replaced the big flat screen television that was damaged during the power surge.  As the Comcast/Xfinity guy said, "Surge protectors aren't infallible."  Since we set it up, its been kind of a challenge to walk away from.  I mean, the picture is beautiful.  The old me would be sitting around watching television from sun up to sun down.  I am retired after all.  If I wanted to, I could have it on all day.  I'm sure I could make up some excuse like "look at all the laundry I have to do.  I couldn't possibly leave the house today."  
But, in the back of my mind I'd be thinking..."what a slug."  The new me doesn't do that.  The new me rarely turns the television on except for news I watch while I'm on the treadmill, the weekly football I watch with the family, and the occasional On Demand movie we missed in the theaters.  Okay, okay...I have to watch my shows in the evening too.  I love "Glee", "House", and I cannot wait until the new season of "Bones" comes on.  I mean..the new me does push ups, sit ups, and weight repetitions during commercials, so I don't feel too guilty when I have it on.
Still, after the morning news, its off for most for the day.  Let's face it, I'm not the couch potato I used to be.  Nowadays, I am up and about.  One thing I've found to be true is if you are running errands, you aren't sitting at home snacking on naughty stuff possibly widening your already voluptuous curves.
This morning, we needed to run some errands.  While we were in the area, we took a couple of turns walking the mall.  That alone is four miles.  Afterwards, we ran a couple more errands and added another mile.  Five miles...without even trying.  We walked at a fast pace.  We did the occasional stairs.  We talked.  The point is...we were moving.  Moving is always good.  Even on your worst days, exercise makes you feel like you accomplished something (and healthy eating makes you feel even better).
In case you are interested, our mall is open for walkers at 0800hrs, but the stores are closed until 1000hrs.  There is no temptation to shop.  Do you have a favorite place to walk?   Then, my friend, get off the darn couch.  Who really wants to be a googly eyed couch potato?  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment