Thursday, October 13, 2011

The "Eyes" Have It

We hit the home gym together this morning.  My husband was lifting weights while I logged miles on the treadmill.  I had just enough time to do a complete workout and, today, I even surpassed eleven hundred miles of walking for the year.  While I was busy with my push ups, sit ups, butt lifts, and well...lifting of my own, he headed upstairs to do some work before our appointment.  


The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. ~ Marcel Proust


Our appointment was with the Optometrist and she was new to us.  I'll admit it.  We had both been procrastinating making an appointment.  Personally, I didn't begin to have issues with my eyes until I retired from active duty.  I was forty years old.  During my retirement physical, I was given a cursory eye exam which proved what I already knew...my eyes were the only things that still functioned at one hundred percent.  The year after, I was wearing readers.  That was eight years ago.  I had a short exam a few years later, but I was advised to just buy stronger readers.  After that, I just didn't go back.  What was the point?  I didn't need a prescription for readers.  They sell them at any pharmacy.  
Still, deep down, I always worried.  I knew it wasn't enough.  My father had several surgeries for cataracts.  Who knew if I was in any danger as I grew older?  I didn't want to be kept in the dark.  I knew I would eventually have to get off my butt and make that appointment.  Besides, my husband needed one too.  You know what?  Not only is caring for your eyes the healthy thing to do but, when you go together, its kind of romantic.     
Today, I walked in to Dr. Graves' office not really expecting much more than what I had experienced in the past, a quick eye chart reading and a diagnosis of  "time to get stronger readers."  
Let's just say, I was pleasantly surprised.  The environment of the office was friendly and courteous.  I even ran into someone I knew.  It felt warm and comforting, as if we had been seeing this particular eye doctor for years.  And I think my husband would agree when I say we have never before had a more thorough examination.   
In the end, we even got shop for frames for our stylish new glasses.  No, these aren't them.  We were both dilated today.  Would you believe I have never had this done before?  Just so you know, it didn't hurt a bit.  The whole process was painless and stress free.  As it turned out, I did need stronger readers.  I am now a 200/175 with an astigmatism.  An astigmatism?  Never had that before (or at least, if I did, I never knew I did).  No worries.  
All I know is, when our new glasses come in, we'll be reading in style.  I can honestly say we now have a new family Optometrist.  On the drive home, without any reservation, we were discussing making an appointment for our teenager.  So, when is the last time you had your vision checked?  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment