Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Hidden Treasure


This morning, we got up and worked out.  I hit the home gym for a five mile walk at a 13 minute pace followed by the usual 50 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 butt lifts, and 300 small weight repetitions.  My Stepdaughter did a 44 minute On Demand 10 lb Extreme Kickboxing with Chris Freytag http://www.exercisetv.tv/trainers/Chris-Freytag-820431087?gclid=CPLyhIyQ9asCFQJ-5Qod7y3IMA#tabs.  By the time we were done, we were both pretty drenched.
After some well deserved showers, we headed out to run a few errands...the post office, the eye doctor to pick up my husband's and my new prescription glasses, etc.. Yes, yes, I know...I have crow's feet.  No worries.  Hey, my stepdaughter tells me you get them from smiling.   How can I possibly complain?
We had time, so we went down to Occoquan.  It was a damp and drizzly day, so the streets and back alleys of Occoquan were a bit like a Ghost Town even at eleven in the morning.  But, I needed to pick up a housewarming gift for a friend and I couldn't think of a better place to get it than my favorite all seasonal store, The Golden Goose.  http://www.goldgoose.com/  Once we had what we came in for, I casually asked the saleslady if she had any recommendations as to a healthy place in town to grab a bite to eat.  She recommended we try "The Blue Arbor Cafe."  http://bluearborcafe.com/   "Where is that?" , I asked.  "We've lived in the area for seven years and I've never heard of it".  She pointed us in the right direction and we headed over.  It wasn't far away.  Maybe a block or so.  It was hidden "off the beaten path".    


I pulled out my glasses and checked out the menu.  I suppose we could have had either breakfast or lunch at that particular time of day, but we both chose to try lunch.  My Stepdaughter had the "Harmon", smoked turkey with pepper jack, jicama, southwestern dressing, tomato & mixed greens on a multi-grain bread.  I wanted something vegetarian so I tried the "Fielding", portobello mushrooms, tomatoes, red peppers, avocado, red onion, alfalfa sprouts with sun dried tomato mayonnaise.  Normally served on multi-grain bread also, I chose to have a spinach wrap instead.  We both had a side of terra veggie chips.  Let me just say, this was without a doubt the absolute best wrap/sandwich I have ever had.  The waitress was courteous, attentive, and welcoming.  The owner, Steve Power, sat right there at a table next to us and chatted.
It didn't feel like the first time we had been there.  It felt warm and comforting like visiting family.  I can't wait to go back to Occoquan.  I think we have found a true hidden treasure.   Next time, we will bring my husband along.  I have a feeling he'll love the "French Orchard" sandwich or maybe the "BLT Nouvelle".  Then again, maybe he'll want to try one of their amazing crepes (I know I want to).  Okay, maybe we should just let him let him decide.  Let's face it...its all good at the "Blue Arbor Cafe."   When you go there, tell Steve I said hello.        

No comments:

Post a Comment