Monday, October 3, 2011

Take That Perimenopause



I remember going to the doctor a couple of years ago with a list of symptoms.  I was positively frantic.  My body was all messed up and I felt like I had lost control.  At first, I tried to blame other things I knew I suffered from...the Fybromyalgia, the Gulf War Illness, or maybe, just maybe... it was all in my head.  Maybe I was spending too much time on WebMD.  Hopelessly confused, I made an appointment and went to the doctor.
I was immediately given the diagnosis of "well, its probably Perimenopause".  But I was too young for that.  That was for middle age women.  Wait a second.  My oldest grandmother had lived to about 86.  Middle of that was...oh no!  Had I become middle age at 43?  Okay..what happened?  Was I too busy to even notice my body was changing?  Too preoccupied with the kids or my husband?  I remember the "maiden" days.  Did I miss the magical line in the sand when a woman crosses from "mother" to "crone"?  That's just crazy!  Maybe I was 46, but despite my numerous injuries from my military years, I looked pretty darn good.  I still weighed what I had weighed before I got pregnant with our youngest.  All the curves were in the right places.  How could I look this good and still feel this bad?
When I asked the doctor for a solution to my problem, I was told there was nothing I could do but just let it happen.  It was nature.  She did suggest I go back on the pill to regulate my periods.  The pill?  Well, as I saw it, that wasn't a viable option.  I didn't even like the fact that I had to take preventative migraine meds.  I mean, wasn't there a homeopathic remedy out there somewhere?  A natural cure?  I walked out feeling worse than I did when I went in.      
Well, I guess you might say, that was the point when I hit rock bottom.  I refused to accept the idea that I was at the age when I would start going downhill, and as a relative put it..."getting that unavoidable thickening around the middle all women get at a certain age".  I began researching.  But it was frustrating.  I found little out there to help.  At that point, the Army Major in me took over.  Once a soldier, always a soldier.  I made the decision to approach perimenopause and menopause like any other military exercise.  I wrote a warning order.  I made an operational plan.  I was in an unknown hostile environment, right?
Over the past two years, I have spent my time improving upon that original plan.  So far, so good.  To be honest, through a program of healthy eating and regular exercise, I think I've tricked my body into thinking I'm younger than I actually am.  The symptoms?  Get this.  They are all gone.  I am lighter, stronger, and completely non medicated (unless you count the occasional glass of wine).  When I do get hurt, I recover more quickly, sometimes overnight.  Sure, I still have to deal with my old injuries but the perimenopausal symptoms are history and that's where I intend to keep them for as long as I possibly can.      

So, what did I do today?

- Five miles on the treadmill (no incline..my knee has been buckling from the "change in season" chill)
- 50 push ups (Army style..5 reps of 10)
- 100 sit ups
- 100 butt lifts
- 300 5lb weight repetitions (3 different lifts, 10 sets of 10)
- 100 15lb kettlebell lifts (front and then over the head back)...all the while praying "Dear God don't let me drop this thing on my head and knock myself unconscious".

TAKE THAT PERIMENOPAUSE!  

It a daily battle, but you know what?  
I am winning this war.  
And you can too!

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/articles/list-menopause-symptoms.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079/DSECTION=symptoms

http://www.military.com/benefits/content/veterans-health-care/gulf-war-syndrome.html

http://www.webmd.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment