Sunday, October 23, 2011

Forty Something

It is a beautiful autumn morning here in Northern Virginia.  My husband and I got up, had coffee and a glass of water, and went for a walk in the neighborhood.  But Brrr...it was chilly out.  Our local NBC weatherman said it was 46 degrees out.  No worries, it went up to 47 degrees after we changed.  I figured I could handle forty something. After all, I am a tough Army lady.  Okay, I'm a tough middle aged retired Army lady.
This wasn't my first time dealing with the cold.  I mean, my basic training was in November.  Oh wait a sec, that was nineteen eighty-one and I was eighteen years old.  Still, this forty something lady wasn't about to let the cold air get the best of me regardless of a little arthritis.  My husband said I was too bundled up for the walk, but I felt good.  I was comfortable.  We'd walked less than a block, when he looked at me and said, "Can we go back now?"  I just laughed.  We kept walking.  A usual recovery day and we ended up walking four miles.  I love walking with him.  It feels like a mini date.  Sometimes, with all that fills our hectic schedules, we have to plan ahead for "us time".      

After our walk, we came back in to the warm cozy house.  He made pancakes for the kids (okay, they aren't really kids anymore, but to us, they will always be little).  I skipped the pancakes in lieu of one of my whey protein smoothies.  Crushed ice, water, frozen blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries, banana, and whey protein mix.  It made two delicious glasses and gave me a boost that will last me until lunchtime.  My Stepdaughter paid me a wonderful compliment.  She said I looked like a cheerleader this morning.  That alone made me feel twenty years younger.  I may officially be a forty something but, this morning, I feel positively twenty something.

No comments:

Post a Comment