Monday, October 24, 2011

Making A Difference



"Act as if what you do makes a difference.  It does."  ~ William James



This morning, after the boys left for school and work, I headed down to the home gym and hopped on the treadmill.  No pain this morning.  Unusual, unexpected, and very nice.  I watched "The Today show" as I walked my five miles.  No incline today.  Instead, I upped the speed.  It felt wonderful.  Afterwards, I did my fifty push ups (five repetitions...ten at a time).  I started to feel the burn.  Awesome!  I moved over to the mat, locked my feet under the weight bench, and did one hundred sit ups.  I started to feel a little twinge in the middle of my spine.  Crap!  I hate when that happens.  Must be one of my injuries acting up.  I slowed my pace, focused on getting the workout completed without straining myself or twisting the wrong way.  Feels a bit like a lumpy place along my spine.  The pain went away as I slowly stretched it out.  Stretching always helps.  After my made it to the end, I gently spun around and did my butt lifts...one hundred with no problem.  I picked up the five pound hand weights and did my three hundred repetitions.  ten side and in, ten back over the head and up, and ten curls...ten times each...low weight, high repetition equals amazing lady guns.  
January 2011
January 2011
I was a mess when I came back upstairs, but my back was fine.  My knees?  Well, that's another story altogether.  They hurt.  Oh well.  I'm not going to let a little pain get in the way.  There comes a point when you have to ask yourself, "Who is in control...my strengths or my weaknesses?  As Nietzsche said, "What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."  I know I have injuries, but I know my personal limitations and I know that what I am doing...eating smarter and exercising is making a difference.  I used to feel so tired, broken and well...old, it was as if my body was destroying me.  But now, with a little dedication and willpower, that same body is something stronger, something I can honestly say I am proud of.  Yes, I know I need a new photo, but my family is probably getting a little tired of me asking them to snap photos of me flexing.  : P  

July 2011
May 2011
March 2011
While my Stepdaughter was on the computer, I grabbed a quick bowl of Fiber one cereal (with soy milk).  Then we headed out to the ACTS food pantry to drop off the food we were donating.  The folks there were extremely nice.  They even gave us a tax donation form for the stuff we brought in.  There were boxes everywhere, our community's answer to the call made by the local news station.  I asked if there was anything they still needed.  The volunteer that we spoke to said they were still in need of rice, beans (like black beans), and macaroni and cheese...those were the items that went the quickest.  I told him I'd see what we could do.  We can't let our community food pantry run out of food, not when its so easy to donate.   http://www.actspwc.org/
So, if you are in the area, please stop the food pantry.  The volunteers are there with opens arms, happy to sort what you bring, give it to a family in need, and grateful to help us make a difference.   
Well, I'd better go.  Time to throw in some laundry and make one of my vanilla whey protein, mango, peach, and banana smoothies.  Should I feel guilty that every time I drink those, I imagine how tasty they would be with a touch of rum?  Don't be silly.  Its way too early in the day for a foo foo drink and I'm all out of those cute umbrellas.  Make good choices today.         
  


No comments:

Post a Comment