Wednesday, October 5, 2011

With Age Comes Wisdom And Better Workout Attire

This morning, I woke feeling absolutely wonderful.  The temperatures warmed up, so my knee wasn't giving me a hard time.  Don't get me wrong.  I still held on to the banister as I descended the stairs.  Cold or no, the knees are in pretty bad shape.  That's just something I live with, one of my many issues.  C'est La Vie.  Such is life.  Everyone has his or her own little challenges to overcome.  One of my biggest challenges is stairs.
I headed right down to the treadmill as soon as I saw the school bus pull away.
I was in a hurry.  I wanted to watch "The Today Show" at 0700hrs.  I watch while I walk.  It takes my mind off the time.  Every few minutes, I elevate the incline.  I was able to get to an incline of ten.  At the speed I go, that's pretty good as I see it.  I know one thing.  It was a work out.  I needed that gym towel today.
After I completed my full workout, I came back up and showered.  I know...same routine..different day.  I need a new exercise, maybe a yoga class to attend...something to break things up.
I went back to my whey protein smoothie today.  Had to. I didn't get enough protein yesterday.  That's not good.  When my protein is down, I get dizzy.  Yeah, yeah...I was always a bit dizzy.
I really didn't feel like staying at home and, well...I was out of my Greek yogurt.  Once I got in the car, I decided to venture out, head to the mall.  I thought I might check out the athletic clothes they offered this week at TJ Maxx and Marshall's.  I had enough long pants for the colder season, but I wanted to get more long sleeve shirts.  
I didn't used to be so picky when it came to athletic clothes (as you can see from the photo with my brother Mike...stop laughing, please).  Even as a teenager, I pretty much did my walks around the neighborhood barefoot and in whatever street clothes my mom and I had gotten from the local thrift store.  I don't think I saw real nice work out clothes until I hit high school.  The athletes wore them, the football players and the cheerleaders.  Maybe if I had been an athlete, I would have worn them too.  I suppose they had to.  Me?  I did wear a few costumes for plays, but no athletic stuff except for gym...and they were really ugly one piece blue outfits with elastic around the waist.  I've never liked the feel of elastic.  That's history.  School gym clothes are cool now.  
As an enlisted soldier, we were given work out clothes.  As an officer, we had to buy them.  Over the years, they were updated...so we bought more.  It didn't matter what they changed to, they always made me look short and poofy.  They looked like they were designed for a man's body.  Well, come to think of it...maybe they were.
Nowadays, I have a closet full of work out clothes.  I am pretty particular about what I wear, nothing binding and it has to fit.  I am only 5'4" give or take a half inch.  I like zip up sweatshirts, not pullover hoodies.  Pullovers are too difficult to get out of.  There is a reason why I dress in layers...so I can shed them when I'm ready.  My shirts have to have a v-neck.  I don't like tight clothes around my neck...makes me feel as if I am choking.  My socks have to be cushioned and they can't be the kind that scoot down in to the shoe while you are walking (I like adidas).  I rarely wear the standard yoga type pants.  I would need to wear thongs to avoid that annoying panty line.  I'm sorry, but that just isn't going to happen.  And please don't suggest commando.  There is a time and a place for that and its not during my workout.  I'll stick with a comfortable, yet somewhat loose fitting pant (I like adidas for pants also because they are perfect for my height).  With places like TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Target and Kohl's out there, you don't need to spend a fortune to get the best clothing for whatever the mission...be it a walk in the neighborhood, a trip to the gym or any other fitness activity you enjoy.  I guess its true what they say.  With age comes wisdom...at least when it comes to choosing workout attire.
By the way, anyone know if they make dry wick bikini underwear yet?
Today, at the mall, I got some bargains which helped keep me in a pleasant mood.  When I left the mall, it was warm, the sun was shining, and I felt overdressed.  I shed a layer, popped into the neighborhood Giant, and picked up a few essentials...like my Greek yogurt.      

1 comment:

  1. I bought the Chobani Greek yougart for the first time last week. Tried peach, pineapple and blueberry. I added a few walnuts to make it feel more like a sundae. Yummy! (Marla Rogers)

    ReplyDelete