Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Different Strokes For Different Folks

My husband took his change of clothes for the gym.  He always does.  He'll go at lunch, then grab something healthy to eat afterwards.  I know its not easy to stay in shape with his schedule, but he gives it his best effort.  He does what he can and it works.  
Once it was quiet, my Stepdaughter and I began our individual workouts. Since I was going to be on the treadmill for a hour and fifteen minutes, she decided to try out one of the family workout DVDs.  We both love "The Biggest Loser" and I can safely say we both really miss Jillian Michaels.  We have several of her DVDs in our home collection.  And, what we don't have on DVD, we can get on television "On Demand".
I was still walking when she popped her head in the gym to tell me she was done, that Jillian had kicked her butt today.  She was smiling when she said it.
From that point on, all I could think about was how wonderful it is to have the whole family eating healthier and fitness focused.  Our college kids are both working out at school as well.  I can't tell you how proud this makes me.  Far away from home, yet taking care of themselves.
Even our teenager is conscious of his health.  Its not just school physical fitness or scouts.  He has switched to whole grains, eats his fruits and vegetables and unlike most kids his age, he drinks a lot of water.  I like to take him grocery shopping.  For one, his math skills are better than mine.  For another, his eyes are better.  He reads the labels.  We often play this game where we try to guess the sugar, protein, sodium or calories in certain items.  Some things may surprise you.   
I stepped off the treadmill, and went right to my push ups...fifty.  Then I moved to the mat, locked my feet under the weight bench bar and did my one hundred sit ups.  After that, I shifted around and did my butt lifts.  I finished up with three hundred weight repetitions, drank a glass of water, then came upstairs to find my Stepdaughter.  We started talking about work outs.  I hadn't yet done Jillian's 30 Day Shred, so I asked how it was.  As it turns out, I probably would've had problems completing it with my bad knees.  Even with all I can do, squats and lunges are pretty much out of the question.  No worries.  Everyone does what they can, right?  My Stepdaughter and I are both focused.  Her workout's are fast and furious, while mine are slow and methodical.  My husband's workouts are fit into a busy schedule.  Our college kids work out with friends.  Our teenager works out for positive reinforcement like good grades or merit badges.  Whatever works...
Along the way, as individuals, we find things we love to do so we want to do them on a regular basis.  The point is to do something positive, even its only a change in diet.  As my Stepdaughter reminded me the other day, when I quietly dismissed an afternoon I went up and down the stairs numerous times as a non-workout, she said, "Everything counts."  What's your workout?  


No comments:

Post a Comment