Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nothing Is Impossible

October 2011
“Start by doing what’s necessary, then what’s possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.”  ~ 
Francis of Assisi


This morning, at our home, it felt kind of like being at a public gym.  While I was on the treadmill walking uphill and a pretty fast pace, my Stepdaughter was in the next room doing "The Biggest Loser" DVD walk/run with weights (Bob Harper).  We were two sweaty ladies (one twenty something and one forty something) each doing our own thing to stay healthy.
When I finished my routine (I did an extra hundred arm repetitions today of the medicine ball), I went in to see where she was.  She was doing her crunches.  I asked her if she would snap a photo of my "gun" progress.  My last progression photo was taken three months ago.  She gladly agreed.  Luckily there was a camera phone handy.  I don't believe I've gotten much bigger, but that wasn't really my goal.  I just want to keep my definition as I grow stronger overall.  I want to look in the mirror and see that nothing is impossible if I commit to this..this lifestyle of health and fitness.  And I want to be able to show others nothing is impossible if they commit.  It's funny.  I can look back and remember when I was just beginning this project of sorts.  It began as a way of dealing with my issues.  I did yoga to relieve the chronic pain in my back and neck.  Then I walked to relieve the chronic pain in my knees.  I started eating healthier to relieve the chronic migraines.  I knew there were things I would be physically incapable of, but I told myself I would at least do what was possible.
Now, I am starting to see through different eyes.  Now, I know I am finally doing what I once thought impossible... I mean...look at me.  I am becoming (dare I say it?) athletic.  How cool is that?
After our work out, I made a quick trip to the grocery store.  I am making chicken and whole grain brown rice in the slow cooker tonight and I needed celery.  We prepared everything, got it cooking, and headed out for a few errands.  We walked some at the mall.  It was really just an excuse to get out of the house.  Later, we hit Michael's, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Target.  I was hunting to something particular.  While at Target, we stocked up on our Chobani.  It has been going pretty quick as we both love it.  I love that the healthy eating is becoming a family thing.  Last night, we had baked salmon, spinach, peas, and some leftover grilled veggies from the previous night's shish kabobs.  It was yummy.  Later in the week, my husband has a guest coming to dinner.  I am making stuffed peppers with ground turkey, another slow cooker recipe we have fallen in love with.  I'll probably make a salad as well.  Do you make healthy meal choices?  Can we share recipes?  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment