Friday, October 21, 2011

Time For My Check Up

We were out the door early this morning.  I had a check up scheduled at my clinic.  My Stepdaughter had a job interview afterwards, so she came along for moral support.  I'm not known for being the best patient.  But, that was yesterday, when it seemed I was sick and tired all the time before I became a proactive healthy girl.
This morning, we walked in at about 0830 and checked in at the front desk.  I was supposed to be there at 0845. But my father always said, "If you are more than ten minutes early, you are late."  He was overtly punctual.  I appointment was actually at 0900hrs.
Before long, I was led back to the area where vitals are taken.  The lady checking me in was probably the nicest I've met on a visit there.  I pulled out a little notepad and told her I wanted to write down everything she found, so I could mention it in my blog.  First, she asked if I was feeling any pain.  I said no, that I actually felt really good.  She asked when my last lady time was (you know what I mean).  She smiled when I gave her the exact day.  I mean, who knows their exact day?  Who?  Someone with a log book where they write down everything they eat and drink, every exercise they do, and the specific days they have their lady time...that's who.  I told her about my work out routine, about how a couple of years ago I was miserable with the perimenopausal symptoms.  Then I started working out and eating better...and the symptoms just went away.  She checked my blood pressure.  It was a little off (149/73), so she went and grabbed another one of those inflatable cuffs and tried again.  This time, it was much better...118/80.  Broken cuff?  Maybe.  She took my temperature by using one of those ear thermometers....97.8 normal.  She said my pulse was 75.  I weighed in at 121 fully clothed with shoes.   No worries.  She then led me back to the examination area.  I gave her one of my blogger cards and asked if my daughter could come back and wait with me.  It was no problem.  We sat in there just long enough to take a photo, before the Family Nurse Practitioner came in.  She was extremely nice also.  She explained that my primary care provider was on maternity leave.  That was why I was seeing her instead.  I already knew as it was explained to me when I called and made the appointment.  She asked if I had any concerns.  I told her I had received a notice in the mail letting me know I need a cholesterol check.  She went over the check sheet I had filled out and my family history (I have a family history of diabetes and a personal history with high cholesterol.  She saw that I had had a previous thyroid test that came back negative.  I explained that when they did it, I told them I felt that it was needless.  They were only doing it because I had lost weight.  I had explained to them that I wasn't sick or tired...I was just exercising and eating better.  But they insisted on doing the test regardless.    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003492.htm 
I was unable to get the lipid panel to check my LDLs and HDLs, because I had not fasted for twelve hours prior.  She asked if I could fast tonight and come in in the morning first thing.  She said it gets crowded after a while..better to get it done early.  She also wanted to check my metabolic panel for iron and blood count.  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003462.htm.  So, it looks like I will be getting my blood drawn tomorrow morning.  No problem.  I don't have any issues with needles.  I had given a few gallons of blood over the years before I was stopped because of the Mad Cow scare and those were really big needles.  I miss giving blood.  I really hope they clear me to do it again someday.  The Red Cross said my blood type was universal and it was always packaged up for use in the Pediatric units.  It made me feel like I was helping children.  Let me ask you...how can that not feel good?  
Well, she said after the tests, she would call if there were any issues.  No news was good news.  Three days following the test, I could come in and get a copy if I wanted to see it.  She refilled my multivitamins, (I like the prescription ones because they are smaller, not like the over the counter huge "horse" pills) and said I should not eat or drink anything except water after 1900hrs.  She then did a breast exam, checked my heart beat, and my skin.  She said everything was fine though I had some fibrocystic changes.  For many women, that's normal http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000912.htm).  She did say I had nice skin.  Next June, I'm due for a mammogram again (oh joy).  Wouldn't it be great if you could do your mammograms using the buddy system.  It would be less frightening and perhaps even comical.  I can hear it now..."Oh my goodness, your booby pancakes are much larger than mine."
I'll do all those other lady tests then as well.  I gave her one of my cards and she gave me one of hers.  I'll bet she'll read my blog.  I know her assistant did while we were there.  It gives me a warm fuzzy kind of feeling when I hear folks are reading the blog, when they say they learned something new or did something positive because of it.  I think, if they know medical check ups are important to a healthy and fit lady like me, they might feel better about going themselves.  Its not scary.  And its always best to know where you stand.
You know, the other day, someone asked me if my blog earned any money.  My reply was, "No, that's not why I write it.  I want people to know its never too late to get healthy.  I honestly believe getting healthy and being fit should be within everyone's reach...rich, poor, or middle class."  I never intended this blog to be a money making endeavor.  I do this as a way of reaching out to those who want to make better choices, and live fuller, happier lives.  Sometimes it helps to know someone else is taking those steps, difficult though they may be, one step at a time.        
My Stepdaughter and I moved over to the pharmacy section to pick up my multivitamin refill.  The request went in at 0924hrs.  That has to have been the quickest doctor visit I've ever had.  We had my prescription by 0941hrs and were out the door...Seventeen minutes...they were busy.  Afterwards, we walked four miles at the mall.  It was a good day.  After a long night of fasting, tomorrow will be an early morning.  Bring on the blood tests.  Pick a vein...any vein.    

No comments:

Post a Comment