Saturday, October 22, 2011

Blood Work, A Quick Date, And A Shiny New Toy

Saturday morning began early.  We were up and about at around 0600hrs.  I was worried at first.  When I went to tie my shoes, I twisted my hip.  It hurt so bad, I jerked and knocked my husband's coffee over.  He was so sweet.  He cleaned up my mess and tied my shoes for me.  I guess its getting too cold for this old body.  We might need to adjust the heat in the house a bit.  He went out and turned on the car's seat heaters for me.  I was fine after I walked.  I wished I had time to work out, but not today.  Today, we had to drive over to the clinic's lab to complete the medical check up I had begun the day before.  I still needed to get the blood work.  My husband drove.  I couldn't possibly be expected to drive that early without my coffee.  Granted, I drink decaf, but still...I wanted the company.  We were the first in line for Emad, the lab technician who drew my blood.  He was wonderful.  He looked at my right arm first.  When I suggested he use my left arm in lieu of my right for the more prominent vein (I'm left handed), he didn't hesitate to switch.  Then, with absolutely no pain whatsoever, he got it right away.  I watched as the little vials of blood filled up.  It was quick and easy.    
Afterwards, we went over to the Silver Diner for breakfast.  It was earlier than either of us normally eat, so we kept it light.  More than anything, I wanted the coffee.  My husband ordered a veggie omelet and I ended up ordering a heart healthy local honey nut granola Greek yogurt parfait with Maine blueberries (262cal).  Mmmm..  The sun came up while we were there, so it was kind of romantic...like an early morning date.  We sat there and listened to familiar old tunes from the jukebox while Robert, our server, took care of us.   http://www.silverdiner.com/eat-well-do-well
When we got home, the kids were just beginning to stir.
We made the decision to drive out to Koons Tysons Toyota.  We'd all been searching for a car for my Stepdaughter and my husband spotted a good deal on line.  He had called ahead so, when we arrived, we were greeted by Toney, the most amazing salesperson I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. We all sat down and chatted a bit, he showed us two cars we were interested in, and we took a test drive.  I was impressed right off the bat.  We've purchased quite a few cars over the years.  I had never had a car salesperson give such a thorough overview of cars in question as Toney did today.  He went over everything, even things I hadn't thought of.  He opened every nook and cranny of the car, showed us under the hood, and answered every question.  He was friendly, courteous, and extremely professional.  He went above and beyond what any of us had ever experienced in the past. He even purchased a special key chain for my stepdaughter's new car! She made the comment that, with Toney, she felt comfortable, like he was one of her driver's education teachers...someone who truly cared about her knowledge and safety.  I would return to Koons because of Toney.  So, in thanks for his exceptional service, I'd like to end this blog with a healthy recipe...just for Toney and the wonderful lady he spoke so warmly of...his wife.      

This is something we like to make at the Hurley home.

Take one can drained black beans, add chopped peppers (one of each green, yellow, and red), and one half chopped mango.  Set aside.  Blend the remainder of the mango with Italian dressing until you make it creamy.  Now pour the new mango/dressing blend over the black bean/chopped pepper blend and stir.  You can add or delete if you like.  Its a colorful and tasty side dish that usually feeds four.   Thanks again.  We love the shiny new toy.  Stay healthy.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment