Friday, October 28, 2011

A Fresh Start To The Weekend

It wasn't easy getting through my work out this morning.  Just walking down the stairs was painful.  My knees were acting up again.  I figure its because they've called for snow this weekend.  My knees...they seem to know bad weather is coming even before the news weatherman announces it.  Still, I did my five mile walk on the treadmill.  I had considered walking outside but at 0715hrs, it was around 35 degrees.  I had to face it.  Walk outside?  It wasn't going to happen.  So, I did an especially hard walk faster than usual and at an incline.  Then, I came upstairs.  I was done.  No weights today.  Reason?  My shoulder was also telling me bad weather was coming.  Anyway, when I came up, my stepdaughter was getting ready to do her morning workout.  She'd slept in.  It was a long night for her.  She and my husband had stayed up to watch baseball and it had gone into overtime.  She wasn't really in the mood to work out either.  She mentioned she'd like to walk outside, but wondered how cold it was.  Then, for some reason, out of the blue, I suggested we walk the neighborhood together.  Looking back, I have absolutely for clue where it came from, but there it was...and she said yes.  There was no turning back.  I had committed.
So, I changed out of my drenched work out clothes and into something dry and warm.  By now, the temperature was probably somewhere in the 40's and the sun was beginning to peek through.  In the end, I'd walked a total of nine miles today.  When we got home, everything hurt.  As we walked across our lawn, my knee was throbbing, but I felt good...accomplished.  Instead of hitting the Motrin, I hit the showers.  Good choice.  It helped.
After that, we were both pretty hungry.    Okay...I was starved.  I asked if she had ever been to Zoe's Kitchen?  I had taken the other kids there for lunch last summer and we liked it.  She hadn't been, so we got in her car and headed over.  I don't know how many times I've gone to Wegman's grocery store and passed Zoe's Kitchen thinking, "I really need to go back there."
If you've never tried it, you should go.  The food is, as they advertise..."simple, tasty, and fresh."
When we walked in, I picked up a menu.  I'll admit it was pretty difficult to choose.  It all looked so good.  I went back and forth over whether or not I should get hummus, then finally decided on Spinach roll-ups...warm tortillas filled with spinach, mozzarella, fresh mushrooms, feta, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions, salsa.  She decided on the Greek Chicken Pita...chicken, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions and feta.  We both had a side of fresh fruit.  Was it yummy?  Let's just say, we left no crumb behind.  Yes, it was amazing.  I can't wait to go back and try something new.  I'm thinking veggie kabobs.  Oh, or maybe their hummus and salad plate.  Wait...maybe I'll have the "Gruben"...grilled turkey, swiss cheese, slaw, and spicy mustard on rye bread.  Mmmm...  Too many choices...I guess we'll just have to keep going back.  Here's the menu so you can check it out.  By the way, they also have carry out and catering.  Remember...make healthy choices.  : )
http://www.zoeskitchen.com/HH%20NC2-NEAST.pdf 



No comments:

Post a Comment