Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Something Warm In A Cold World

Yesterday, when I had my fruit smoothie after my shower, I discovered something.  Frozen fruit is bloody cold!  When, within minutes of drinking it, I felt an unbearable chill.  I went upstairs and grabbed one of my husband's flannel shirts.  I love the feeling of wearing his big warm flannel shirts, makes me envision him chopping wood to use for our fireplace.  Manly man starting fire to take care of his missus.  Yes, I know how to chop wood and how to start a fire in the fireplace.  I'm just saying...it reminds me of..I don't know...early American romance.    
Anyway, the flannel shirt did no good, so I grabbed a woobie blanket (also known as a throw blanket) and bundled up under it.  Still, nothing seemed to get rid of the frozen fruit smoothie chill.  I was getting a little worried.  Had I gotten too fit?  Surely, I had enough body fat to warm myself.  I had an inescapable shiver.   In the bathroom, under the sink, was the heating pad.  Any port in a storm, right?  I took it back in the living room, plugged it in and bundled up again.  Well, it did the trick.  I was so warm, I eventually fell asleep right there on the couch.  I didn't sleep long, maybe 15 minutes.  I was awakened when the dryer sounded that it was done.  I put away the heating pad.  Didn't need it anymore.  I pulled the dry clothes out of the laundry and buried myself beneath the pile.  There is no better feeling than burying yourself under a load of warm dry laundry.  Fold immediately to avoid wrinkles?  It could wait...this time.
The weatherman says this is the coldest its ever been this time in October.  My body does not like the cold.  Walking up and down the stairs is painful, and the slightest twist in the wrong way can make my joints just give under me, put me out of commission for an indeterminate amount of time.  
I keep going.  I am usually okay after I get on the treadmill and walk a bit.  Its helps to move, to warm up my joints.  But sometimes, my efforts in the gym leave me feeling overconfident once the work out is complete.  I forget I have disabilities.  My good knee gave today.  I really need to be more careful, take my time, when the weather is like this...or convince my husband we need to move to a warmer climate.           
This morning, believe it or not, I was actually dreading my whey protein fruit smoothie.  The memories of yesterday's deep chill were still fresh in my mind.  In the spirit of "improvise, adapt, and overcome", I decided to try something warm today.  I decided to have oatmeal.
On my last visit to Target, I bought some oatmeal thinking our son might like it.  Low in sugar, he had no interest in what I had purchased.  Hey, can't blame a mom for trying.  
The brand is called "Oat Fit".  It came in two flavors...maple and brown sugar and cinnamon roll.  Each packet was 100 calories.  Each has 4 grams of protein and get this...No Sugar!  It has fiber, Vitamin A, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, etc...but best of all, it tastes good.  I had the maple and brown sugar flavor today.  The portion was small, like most oat meals out there, but it left me feeling all warm and toasty inside.  All of sudden, I'm back to that vision of husband in flannel shirt chopping wood for our fireplace.  Mmmm... very nice.  : )  

No comments:

Post a Comment