Saturday, September 10, 2011

Donation Time Again

I filled five bags this morning and I'm just getting started.  I know I could probably fill a dozen more with a little patience.  I didn't even work out and I'm exhausted from trying things on, bending, stretching and lifting.  Well, you know what I say...everything counts.  It won't get logged officially, but it counts.
I am focused on filling bags with clothes, linen, and such.  My goal for the weekend is to fill at least ten bags before we donate.  It will be easy when I start adding old comforters and throw blankets.
I need to get some sturdy boxes too, so we can donate old books to the school library.  We donated six or seven huge boxes to the middle school library and about the same amount to the local public library over the summer when our son was volunteering there.  But there are still so many books.  Most of what we read is on kindle or iPad now.  I've noticed our youngest likes to collect books.  Maybe its all my fault.  In an effort to teach him to take care of his books (I only had a handful growing up), I always told him books were treasures.  Now he wants to save them all for his children.  He just walked in and corrected me (teenager...he does this frequently now).  He says he only saves them in case there is a sequel.  Okay... Sometimes you just have to take deep breaths, and walk away.  Win the battles worth winning.  Next time he wants something, I'll say, "Okay, as soon as you clean out your closet..."  
No worries.  For now, I have plenty of my own stuff to donate.   I have volunteered to work with the High School PTSO's (Parent Teacher Student Organization) Cinderella program working to gather dresses, shoes, purses, ties and such for the kids to have for the prom.  I figure I can clean house a bit and help out too.  One thing I have a lot of is old formal dresses (of varying sizes) I've worn maybe once and fancy high heels I will never where again.  With my back problems, even three inch heels are painful.  They just take up space in our closets.  
We have lived here seven years now, the longest we have lived anywhere.  Before that, the longest stay in any place was three years.  In the past, when we would move, we'd clean house...get rid of all the stuff we didn't need.  If it was still packed when time came to move again, we obviously didn't need it.  That hasn't happened here.  I found sheets to twin beds in the closet.  We haven't had twin beds for ages.  In the bag.  Well, back to work.  Now where did I put that Yu-Gi-Oh comforter?  That has got to go.              

No comments:

Post a Comment