Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Improvise, Adapt And Overcome Work Out Obstacles

  This morning, I found myself waiting on a repairman.  I couldn't go out to walk.  I couldn't leave the house.  Besides, it was raining again.  I couldn't go downstairs to our home gym.  If I did, I wouldn't hear the knock at the door.  He was scheduled to arrive between 0800hrs and 0830hrs.  Did I mention he was supposed to come yesterday, but had to reschedule?  Ugh.  I probably could have skipped the workout this morning, but that's just not me.  I didn't even skip my workout when we had an earthquake.  This healthy lady always tries to find a way to work out.  And I knew, if I waited until after the repairman left, something would inevitably get in the way.  I had no choice.  I had to improvise, adapt, and overcome this obstacle to getting in a work out today.  I went down to the basement early.  I grabbed my 5 lb weights and my mat and brought them upstairs.  I did 300 weight repetitions while I was watching the news.  I followed with 50 push ups (yes, Army style...off the knees like I always do).  After that, I switched to Comcast on demand.  I hit -Sports and Fitness, then -Exercise TV.  Its a great way to try out DVDs before you buy them or before you decide to try a class.
Hmmm...start with a warm up.  I did 45 minutes of Leslie Sansone walking...3 miles.  My husband was on his way out the door to head to work.  He came over, gave me a kiss, and said, "You know, I can remember a time when Leslie Sansone would kick your butt.  Now, you look like you are kicking hers."  I just smiled.  He was right.  Leslie was great, but strictly a beginner...possibly an intermediate level workout.  After all, I had done her five mile walk with no problem.
I've been doing this a while.  I needed more of a challenge.  So, when the walk was completed, I went searching around Exercise TV.  http://www.exercisetv.tv/
I thought I'd try something new.  I ended up doing a 10 minute "Biggest Loser" Cardio Jumpstart (no weights).  It wasn't bad.  It hurt my knees, but I hung in there.  I guess my days of jumping rope and mountain climbers are over.  Oh well...we do what we can, right?  I doubt I'll get new knees for a while if I ever do.
After an 8 minute Burn It Up Latin dance, I started to sweat/glow a bit.  That was fun.  I really don't have much rhythm.  Thankfully, no one was watching.  No worries.  You won't be seeing me on "Dancing With The Stars" doing the paso doble any time soon.
After that, I ran across an old friend...a 13 minute Belly Dance Fitness.  I took a Belly Dancing class through the local rec center back when we lived in Arizona.  Its been nearly ten years.  I was a bit rusty.  Oh come on!  Where did my sexy go?  Next time, I'll dig out the old costume before I attempt the Belly Dance DVD.
Well, its after 1000hrs and I'm still waiting on the repairman.  The way I look at it, the morning wasn't a total loss.  At least got to spend 76 minutes working out with my Exercise TV.

There he is...I'd better go.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment