Friday, September 9, 2011

School Canceled Because Of Flood

This morning, we all got up as if it were a regular day.  My husband was getting ready for work, our youngest for school.  I dressed in my work out attire.  Still raining.  Ugh...another day on the treadmill.  I'll admit, I was beginning to go stir crazy.  I really wanted to walk outside.  I came downstairs, turned on the coffee pot, fed the cat, and then turned on the television.  Schools were closing all over the area.  What the heck?  It was just rain.  Up in Maryland, there was a lot of flooding.  I guess it made since that their schools were closing.  But then, they announced it.  Our county's schools were closed too.  Its a big county and it covers a lot of rural areas as well as ours.  If you close part of it, you close it all regardless of the fact that here we barely even needed an umbrella.  No worries.  I went back upstairs to tell the boys who were still getting ready.  Our youngest came downstairs.  He had to see it for himself.  When he did, he immediately went on line to tell all his friends.  Most already knew.  No school today.  Reason?  Flooding.  I know it sounds like something Noah's kids would have been jumping up and down and shouting back during biblical school days.  But no, it was here.  I've always had this fascination with Noah's Ark.  When our youngest was a baby, we decorated his room with a Noah's Ark motif.  This painting (see above) hangs in our living room.   I've always believed a little rain was good.  It washed away the bad in the world, giving us a chance to start over.  And my father used to say thunder was just God up there bowling with Jesus (my father had at one time been a bowling champ).
But we'd had lightening, earthquakes, and now flooding all in just a matter of weeks, not to mention the fires out west.  I mean, I'm starting to think I need to pull out the bible and double check those signs of the apocalypse.  Shouldn't we expect locusts or frogs or something like that?  Or were these all just signs of global warming?
Anyway, this was no day to head down to the home gym.  If I did, my teenager would undoubtedly glue himself to the Xbox for the day.  The teachers barely had time to give any homework.  He's only had three full days of school.  I needed to get him out of the house.  And let's face it, I wanted to get out of the house. He needed some books for his English Literature class.  If I waited too long, they would all be gone.  So, we could head to the mall.  If we left early, we could walk a bit.  When we got to the mall, he noticed all the stores were still closed.   This did not make him happy.  He thought I had tricked him.  "Who goes to the mall when everything is closed?"  "Uh, mall walkers", I replied.  "MOM!"  : )
It was just forty five minutes, but I did manage to log a little over three miles on my pedometer.  We found all the books he needed, he got cool new shoes for school, and a bendable keyboard for his Xbox (that he paid for).  It was a short workout, but a great day for bonding.  How often does a mom get to bond with her teenage boy, right?  So, if it is nearing the end of days, at least we had today.  And it was a good one.      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment