Monday, September 5, 2011

When Healthier Becomes Habit



Last night, we had some our close friends/military family over to the house for dinner. As I wrote on my Facebook status, I was grillin' and chillin' with my peeps. We had gone over to our favorite grocery store (Wegman's) to pick up the essentials for the evening. I put together a few appetizers. Sliced Roma tomatoes with mozzarella drizzled lightly with olive oil and pepper, garlic hummus with whole grain Triscuit crackers, and a salsa covered brick of Philadelphia cream cheese with Artisan recipe roasted garlic and black bean all natural whole grain chips. We made a salad with romaine lettuce, roasted tomatoes, artichokes, olives, feta, and roasted red peppers. My husband grilled beef tenderloin, chicken breast, and veggie kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, onions, and zucchini. We also had corn on the cob, sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, and fresh bread from the Wegman's bakery. For dessert, we had a choice of decadent chocolate pie or watermelon. Some couldn't decide and had a little of both. Bottom line is...we had a lot of food. Some had beer, some had wine, and some just had hot tea or water. I was in the kitchen with one of our friends cleaning up. I opened the refrigerator to put something away and she said, "That's what you should blog about." "What is that?" I replied. "You should blog about the contents of your refrigerator. Look at it. All that healthy stuff…" To tell the truth, I don't think I even noticed. But she was right. Our refrigerator had taken on a healthier spin. Nowadays, when you open our fridge, you see its packed to the brim with soy milk, fresh fruits and vegetables, yogurts, light cheeses, etc. Healthier eating had become habit for us. It made me think. It wasn't just the way we were eating, it was the way we were cooking our food. We baked more, and grilled more. We watched what we were putting in our bodies more. I notice a difference in the way we shop, the choices we make even without noticing we are making them. We read labels. We have become more aware. I notice the change in the conversations we have with friends, the gifts we exchange, the good habits we share with each other. We talk about amazing hiking trails we've discovered, trips to the gym, and low sodium diets. Healthier living is not only habit, but these good habits are wonderfully contagious. I love the thought that our friends and family will be there with us leading longer, more fit lives. It means more celebrations, more grillin' and chillin' for years to come.
This morning, my husband and I walked 4.5 miles together, and then I walked another 4 on the treadmill. We didn’t have to think about it. Healthier has become habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment