Monday, September 26, 2011

When Something Old Is New Again

Last night, I was very very good.  We went over to a friend's house for dinner.  I watched as they made the most wonderful veal parmesan I had seen in a long time.  As our host was preparing each dish with the skill of a master chef, I broke the news.  I had changed to a non beef/non pork diet.  There were a few questions as to whether or not I was a vegetarian, but it was really no big deal.  He didn't mind.  He didn't skip a beat.  My plate got no veal.  Instead, he heated up some extra sauce and poured it on my pasta.  I ate it.  I didn't have the heart to mention I had also switched to whole grain pasta.  I figured I could handle a night of pasta.   Besides, it was especially yummy..lots of garlic.  Back when I had high cholesterol, the doc recommended "Garlique" pills.  They may not work for everyone, but they worked for me.  During cold season, I tend to use a lot of garlic on foods.  Its a holistic way to cure a cold.  I make no promises, but it always works for me.  Anyway, after dinner, our hostess served brownies.  I smiled and said no thanks.  On the way home, I felt really good about my choices.  The bottom line is...folks understand.  Its not rude to ask for less.  Its not impolite to say no thank you.  
I woke up feeling great...ready to work out.  But, unlike me, I had forgotten to lay out my work out clothes.  So, half asleep, I put together an outfit.  While I was going through a drawer, I found this waist belt I had used long ago during a time when I had thrown my back out.  I have several issues with my back and over the years I have injured it often.  This has been a good year.  So far, I haven't injured it once.  Quick...Knock wood.  I missed so much when I hurt my back.  One Christmas morning, when we lived in Arizona, I threw it out just trying to sit on the floor and open presents.  That was when my husband was deployed.  I was fortunate my brother had come to spend Christmas with us that year.  Basically, when it was twisted, I could not move without pain.  Here in Virginia, I threw it out repeatedly just doing normal household chores like cleaning or moving laundry from the washer to the dryer.  Its the reason we initially began using a maid service.  There were things I just could not do...like bend (hard to bend from the knees when you're knees are messed up too).
Once, I was in such pain, my husband had to hold me in a certain position while we waited on a doctor to see me.  The doctor put me on heavy medications, scheduled physical therapy three times a week (which never really worked for me).  I've used chiropractors.  I've even had acupuncture (that helped some, though it didn't really last long).  I spent a lot of time in bed with my knees elevated oblivious to the world.  I even missed a Christmas party that was being held at our home.  Friends kept coming up to visit.  I don't remember much.
For years, friends and relatives would ask me, "How is your back?"  They don't really ask anymore.  Its funny.  I still have the same injuries.  I just move better now that I know what to do when it happens.  And I recover more quickly than I used to.  What used to put me flat on my back for a week or more before now takes maybe a day or two.  One key is my recovery success is...when I feel pain, I do slow thought out yoga stretches.  And, on occasion, I get a relaxing hot stone massage.
Anyway, back to the waist belt.  I pulled it out of the drawer.  I nearly tossed it in the trash, but something told me not too.  I hadn't originally bought it for walking, but the label on it said "walking shop" by Sportline. http://www.sportline.com/support/benefits-of-walking.html   I checked out the web page for "Sportline" products.  I was impressed, so I kept the belt and decided to re-purpose it.  
  I thought perhaps it would support my back while I walked, help me give a little extra in my work out.  What the heck, right?  So, this morning, I put on while I did my five mile walk on the treadmill.  You know what?  It was awesome!  I got all the way to an incline of twelve.  Sure, my knee was acting up, but not my back.  I stood tall.  And a bonus...by the time I finished my walk, I was positively drenched.  I had worn wore it over my shirt so it wouldn't cut into my skin.  By the end, that shirt was so wet, it felt like I had just pulled it out of the washing machine.  Yuck!  But cool.  It was like my waistline was in its own personal little sauna.
The rehabilitative belt that once reminded me of the pain and the sadness of missing out on many of life's big events now made me feel taller, stronger, slimmer...and well, a lot more sweaty...which by the way is a good thing when you are a healthy lady.   

No comments:

Post a Comment