Saturday, September 17, 2011

Smooth Operator


Those who have been reading this blog for a while know I love my whey protein fruit smoothies.  I have them every day I can.  I even have a portable smoothie maker for those times I can't get to my favorite blender...like on vacations.  I mean, could you see me carrying my blender on a trip, explaining that at the airport security gate?  "I'm sorry officer, but I have to have my whey protein fruit smoothies.  I am a healthy lady.  Want to see my guns?".  No, that wouldn't be good.  They would most likely take away my blender and use it to make their own smoothies..not to mention the fact that I'd probably be strip searched for mentioning my guns.  "Not in my bag, Silly", I'd say, "Here"...as I was flexing my newly acquired muscles.  No...I don't think I want to go there.  
So, in order to avoid having to pack my blender, I bought a portable "Shake 'n Take" at the "As Seen On TV" store in the mall.  And so far, it works great.
For most of the summer months, I have filled my smoothies with the freshest fruits I could find either from the grocery store or the local farmer's market.  But, the temperatures are beginning to drop and I know deep down that those wonderful fruits I've been enjoying will soon be gone.  They are already raising the prices.  That's the first sign that the season will soon be over.  And thought it breaks my heart, I've already had blackberries and other fresh fruits go moldy on me.  Twice now, I've opened fresh berries to find mold.  I know. I know.  Mold happens.  I promise I won't sweat the small stuff, but where there is a will, there is a way.  I absolutely refuse to give up on my smoothies.  
After the fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are gone from my current stash in the refrigerator, I will, of course, experiment with new mixtures.  Today, we went to the grocery store.  We bought something we both love...fresh pears.  I might mix them in a smoothie with strawberries or peaches.  After all, some fruits come out in the fall, right?  As a back up, we picked up some frozen fruits.  Fresh is best, but frozen still works.  Mmm...peach-mango sounds good.  What is your favorite smoothie combination?      

http://www.bestfruitsmoothies.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment