Sunday, May 1, 2011

Are Your A Dipper Or A Sipper?


   I chose this photo because it was the only one I have of me in my confirmation dress, my earliest days taking communion.  At the time, I guess it was my nicest dress.  Back in the seventies, that was the dress you had your school photo taken in.  I think I was eleven when I was confirmed Episcopalian.  My Mother was Episcopalian, so when I was old enough to make the decision, I became the same.    
    I have explored many different religions over the years, but it never felt right.  About a year ago, we began attending Episcopalian services again.  I have taken communion in many churches.  Some, like my Grandmother's church drank grape juice from small plastic cups that they just tossed afterwards.  I wonder if they still use those or if they have gone to recyclables.  Such a waste.  Bad for the environment.  In the Catholic and Episcopalian services, they tend toward the chalice which everyone drinks real wine from.  I remember thinking how grown up I felt sipping real wine at age eleven...even though it only touched your lips. 
   Well, this morning, as we were sitting in church, it came time for communion.  The strangest thing about communion nowadays is the fact that everyone is conscious of ever present health scares.  Some still drink from the chalice as is it brought around, but many have become dippers in lieu of sipping from the community chalice.  Before last year, I had not even heard of such a thing.  I wondered if only special people could do it this way.  Did you need to attend a special class or something?  Even when I discovered just how many folks were dipping, I must admit, I was slow to break with tradition.  
   This past winter, I had a bad cold.  I didn't want to spread germs to the entire congregation, so I became a dipper.  It was strange at first.  I worried I might unknowingly stick my fingers in or drip some on my clothes as I lifted the bread to my mouth.  I actually steered away from wearing white.  Wine stains are not easy to get out.  In the end, dipping seemed a smart thing to do not just during cold and flu season, but all the time.  There are some scary, sometimes deadly viruses out there.  Don't we have enough to be anxious about nowadays?  Where we worship, we should feel safe from harm.  
    Still, I was curious about the whole safety thing.  I asked my husband if he knew what the chalice was wiped with after each person drank.  He had no idea.  He asked our friends if they dipped or sipped.  They both sipped.  He's a sipper too.  Would God protect chalice sippers from getting ill?  Maybe, but was I really that faithful?  Or would that fall under the category of "God helps those who help themselves".   I actually found a website where they say it is against the rules to dip.   http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=006ojw    Okay, who is making these rules?  I don't think this is actually covered in the bible. This is new territory.  I think its a jurisdictional thing.  You can dip if you are Episcopalian, but maybe not if your Catholic.    
   Well, at my church, they don't seem to mind.  So, I guess I'll continue to be a dipper for now.  Honestly, its a different time.  I can remember when all we had were those cardboard like wafers.  Now, I just know the bread they use is whole grain wheat.  I guess, when it comes to religion, change is a slow process.  Many consider change in the church as just "wrong".  The way I see it, what difference does it make really whether you are a dipper or a sipper?  God understands.  I doubt he faults those who dip.  I really doubt it will determine our future once we hit the pearly gates.  Just pray, sing, worship, and do good deeds.  Honestly, have you actually ever seen the commandment..."Thou shalt not dip"?           

1 comment:

  1. Apologies for this plug, but I highly recommend the book "Those Episkopols" by the Rev. Dennis Maynard. It answers basic important questions about our Episcopal Church such as how we worship (it's supposed to be "boring"), how we think (we must use reason in order to understand God's creation), how we treat the Bible (divine inspiration, not divine dictation), how we live (dogmas are silly; when we get to heaven, Jesus is probably not going to ask us what (mostly man-made) rules we followed, but whether we loved him and one another), and how we are saved (not something that just happens; it is an ongoing process through our lives), etc.

    The book provides a good starting point to becoming a thoughtful, knowledgeable Christian and member of the Church. The reader should continue their studies and actions by beginning a study of the Bible, asking questions of their fellow man, doing good works, and most importantly THINKING.

    An easy and quick read (1 hour), I marked up my book with tons of highlighter and am now more confident when inquiring friends and strangers ask me about my faith and practice.

    http://www.amazon.com/Those-Episkopols-Dennis-R-Maynard/dp/1885985029/

    ReplyDelete