Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Strangest Cinco De Mayo Ever


   I got up this morning wanting to do something different.  So, when the boys headed out to work and school, I headed to the mall.  It opens at 0800hrs (8am) for mall walkers.  Its a little strange walking the mall.  Even at 47, I know I am the youngest one there.  I tend to pass everyone, but I still do my best to say hello as I go around them.  Anyway, I did three complete laps to include hallways before the mall opened.  According to my pedometer, thats six miles.  After that, I went out to the car and got my purse.  Time to shop.  I was looking for something to wear for the annual Kentucky Derby party.  Its at a friend's house.  I don't really want to wear what I wore last year.  I already had a hat, but I found a cute little dress at TJ Maxx.  Best of all, its Calvin Klein.  I love Calvin Klein.  In most clothes, I wear a size small.  In Calvin, I'm an extra small.  That's great for my self esteem.  I mean, who wouldn't shop there?  
   Once I shopped a bit, I decided I'd better go.  More errands to run.  I went over to Michael's for stuff to adorn my hat.  We'll see how that turns out.  I love artsy stuff, but I am not as crafty as I used to be.   Maybe I can get the boys to help.  
   Last stop on my expedition was Wegman's.  I went in looking for something to serve tonight for dinner.  It is Cinco De Mayo, after all.  I bought all the ingredients for fajitas and tacos...and picked up some other items I knew I needed.  When I got in line, the cashier asked me if I was a runner.  I hadn't been home yet, and I was still in my workout clothes.  I told him no, I was primarily a walker.  While he tallied up my purchases, he asked if I went to a local gym.  I said no, we have a gym in our home.  He then suggested he come over and work out with me.  I know, right?  Did that 20 something cashier boy just hit on me?  Okay, maybe I misunderstood.  I ignored the question.  He kept ringing up my items.  Then he said, "What's wrong?  You have a family?"  I showed him my ring and proudly smiled.  I felt extremely uncomfortable.  I could be this kid's mother.  What was he thinking?  I have to tell you...I could not wait to get out of there.  To top it off, as I was leaving, the wind blew the cart...and my blueberries right onto the ground.  Well, I guess that gives me an excuse to go to Costco...  Not today thought.  I made the mistake of not eating before I left the house.  I'd had three glasses of water, a coffee, and a frappuccino today.  I needed food.  Oh, and get this...I was walking out to my car and I saw a tow truck.  I always park a long away away from the store so I can walk.  From a distance, it looked like they were towing my car.  Once I saw that, I forgot all about the cashier...and the blueberries.  Was my baby being towed?  As it turned out, the guy next to me (in the corvette) was having his car towed...It broke down.  I couldn't see clearly because of the distance and the obstructed view (the cart storage area).  I was relieved.  By this point, I was ready to head home.  Despite the peculiarities of the day, it turned out okay.  Between the mall and my errands, I walked just over nine miles today.  
  Tonight, we going to celebrate with whole wheat fajitas, whole grain tacos, and black beans.  I also picked up something new.  I like to try new things.  I bought some cheese stuffed corn tortillas called Pupusas (Salvadorean).  They aren't the most nutritious things I bought (180 calories each), but I think our youngest will like them.  And they are high in protein (12grams).   Happy Cinco De Mayo.  Now where did I hide that Margarita mix?  Just kidding...I know. I know.  Way too many calories...  
      
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment