Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ignite The Light Inside

   This morning, I decided it was a good day for a walk outside.  It was humid and overcast, but warm still..in the 60's/70's I think.  So, I put on my shape ups and my US Army Retired hat.  I grabbed my lanyard with the house key, my cell phone, and of course...my iPod.  Momma needs her music to keep her company.  I walked my old route, which somehow seems too easy for me now that I have been walking the treadmill at an incline for the last 40 miles of this journey (I hit 540 miles today).  Still, I wanted the fresh air.  
   As I walked to the beat of Lady Gaga and Pink, I kept a good pace.  I detoured around some glass and some poop left by an earlier somewhat inconsiderate dog walker.  I glanced over at the new homes being built.  I couldn't help but feel bad for the deer, the foxes, the rabbits...all the creatures that would soon lose their homes.  I felt guilty that we were part of it.  Made me want to move.  I get like that sometimes.  Except for the workers, it seemed I was the only one on the path this morning.  No other walkers, no bike riders, no one out with their dogs.  I had my ear pods in.  I couldn't hear the traffic or the heavy equipment across the street.  I tried to lose myself in the music.   
Desert Storm 1991
   My mind wandered as it frequently does when I walk.  I thought about the women who have messaging me on facebook the past month or so asking if I needed a coach or a personal trainer.  I don't think they understand.  This lady is self motivated.  I was an Army Officer, a warrior for goodness sake.  At their age, I was out leading soldiers in war (actually two wars).  I admire their youthful ambition, but I don't need to be taught how to get in shape.  I have enough life experience for that.  I mean, think about it...who doesn't?  Its not that complicated a process.  You work out.  You eat smart.  You listen to free advise from folks you trust...experts like Joy Bauer http://www.joybauer.com/today-show/joy-fit-club.aspx.  You watch shows like "The Biggest Loser".  You talk it out with friends.  Friends are always willing to help.  And believe me, you will learn from everyone you are willing to listen to.  It may be good advice.  It may be bad.   If you question it, you ask more questions.  And sometimes, its all about getting educated.  To start, you read labels.  You try a few healthy recipes that sound good.  You cut back on things that are obviously bad for you like fast food.  You try new foods you were not willing to try before.  You develop a personal fitness routine that fits your lifestyle.  Pretty soon, you lose weight...you have more energy...you feel stronger.  In no time at all, you can change your life forever.  You can live better, longer.    
   Sure, you may choose to pay for a decent fitness DVD so you can work out on rainy days.  You may even do like we did and invest in some home fitness equipment or maybe even a gym membership.  But honestly, with all thats out there, do we really need someone to hold our hands?  I don't think so.  You are an adult (or at least old enough to be one).  You know when you are being good or well, being naughty.  As my close friend and fellow blogger says, we are building a village.  If we work together, we can inspire each other free of charge.  Wouldn't it be great if the idea spread and that village became a town, a city, a state, a country, even a world?   
   My mind stopped wandering when Katy Perry's "Firework" came on.  You know what?  I love this song.  It says it all.  And I think it applies to any age.  I know I was the reason my doors were closed.  Today, I am  out walking...on that perfect road (despite the doggy poops)...happier and healthier...a firework.  "Boom, boom, boom"  

March 2011
   It never fails.  As I neared home, my iPod battery died.  It needed a charge.  I completed the last part of my walk playing music over and over in my head.  It got me through.  I had my charge.  I had already "ignited the light inside".  : )  After my walk, I went right downstairs, plugged my iPod in to recharge, did 350 weight/kettle bell repetitions, 70 push ups, 100 sit ups, and you guessed it...100 butt lifts...Its going to be a good day today...after my shower of course.  Whew, stinky..  

No comments:

Post a Comment