Saturday, May 21, 2011

Changing Gears


   This morning, my husband was out in the garage working.  His plan was to go pick up our trailer, get it opened up and do what he had to to get it ready for the summer months.  I went out to see if I could help, but he didn't really need me.  I glanced over and saw it...my bike.  It was covered in dust and the tire was low from lack of use.  Its hard to believe, but we've had the bikes for probably a year now.  Our youngest is really the only one that rides, and he thinks I don't, but I know he is sneaking out without his helmet.  They may be safe, but they are so terribly ugly.  Its hard to get mad.  We never had to wear helmets as kids.  Then again, we didn't have seat belts either.  I'll have to watch him better.   
   I'm an ashamed to say that I have never really ridden my bike further than to the local grocery store and back.  Let's face it.  I am a walker.  Riding the bike tends to exacerbate the injury to my knees and worse...my back.  But I made the decision to take a chance, give it a try.  I am a different woman than I was this time last year.  I asked my husband to help me get it ready to ride.  He pumped up the tires, while I checked it over thoroughly and brushed off the dust.  Its funny how you can forget the little things like knowing how to use a bicycle pump.  But, there is no shame in re-learning things you have forgotten.  He even had to help me adjust the helmet strap.  
    So, when the boys headed out to get the trailer, I grabbed my cell phone and my keys, donned the seriously nerdy helmet (ever miss the days of youthful ignorance?), and ventured out on my own path.  I had not gone far before I realized I had forgotten how to change gears.  I knew I would inevitably have to change gears.  There was no one to help me.  I just had to take my time and try to figure it out.  Slowly, I got better but let's just say, I haven't really mastered it yet.  My overall ride was, to say the least, a might jerky.  I wasn't worried really.  I hadn't intended on going far.  I just wanted to get out.  It was such a beautiful morning.  The sun was shining.  The birds were chirping.  I wanted desperately to open myself up to new experiences.  I figured I'd go to the same point I did when I had walked this neighborhood a couple of weeks ago...when I had seen the rat.  At first, I thought I might have made a mistake going the way I did.  There were a lot of cracks in the pavement and also some glass to avoid.  What if I got a flat and had to walk back?  Then I remembered...I am a walker.  I've walked over 500 miles this year so far.  No worries.  Still, I would try to be careful to avoid the obstacles along the way.  As with anything in life, you can't always avoid the cracks in the pavement...or the broken glass.  
   I took my first turn.  I was getting more and more proficient with the gears.  Or maybe, I was just going down hill.  I don't know.  All I know is it got easier to pedal.  The cars were flying down the road next to me.    I thought to myself, "That's right...I'm biking. While you all are sitting there in your air conditioned cars, listening to your radios, I am getting my exercise.  Why aren't you?"  All of a sudden, up ahead on the sidewalk, I saw him...a bunny rabbit hopping along down the sidewalk...in my direct path.  I was going pretty fast (downhill) but I didn't panic.  Just before I came up next to him, he swerved into the woods.  He was so cute and tiny.  Well, after the earlier experience with the rat, this bunny felt like a positive omen.  I mean, it is the year of the rabbit.  I guess, when you make up your mind to do something, it doesn't take much to motivate you.  I just knew today would be a good day, that I had made a good choice to take out on this new journey.  
  I passed runners, ladies pushing carriages, and folks walking their dogs.  It seemed everyone was taking advantage of this warm, sunny day.  When I came to the point where I had previously walked, I didn't turn around.  I decided to try and make it to the 7-Eleven.  When I got to the 7-Eleven, I decided to try to make it to the little league baseball field.  When I got to the little league baseball,  I decided to try to make to the shopping center.  By then, I had hit the main road.  It wasn't easy.  The hills were challenging on the way up, but you know what?  Those same hills were exhilarating on the way down.  When I hit the main road, I struggled up the hill.  Another biker passed me.  He was wearing those cyclist pants with the extra padding.  Obviously he had done this before.  Still, I made it to the top.  I crossed the main road at the light, then traveled down the larger bike path.  On this path, it was mostly cyclists.  Some weren't wearing their helmets.  As I passed going in the other direction, I repressed the urge to scold them.  
   Before long, I had made it to the road where I normally walk.  It was comforting to return to a place I knew.  Then, I passed a lady walking her dog.  This time last year, that same dog had bitten me on the back of my thigh.  Hard to forget that, you know?  He must have remembered me, because he began to bark.  I thought to myself, "That's right.  Try to bite me again and I swear I'll run your furry little butt over with my bike."  She held him tight as I passed.  Eventually, I came around the last corner before I reached home.  Heading downhill this last time...was positively rewarding.  I was going to finish what I started.  
   When I rolled up to the house, no one was there to greet me.  They were still out and I was all alone.  In my heart, I yelled out, "I did it.  I went all the way (though I hadn't any idea how far I'd actually gone)."  My back was sore and I couldn't figure out how to unlatch the stupid (but safe) helmet.  I just sat down on the steps.  I watched as the wind blew the trees.  I listened to the birds.  I said hello to a neighbor out walking his dogs.  I must have looked pretty stupid sitting there with my helmet still on.  I didn't really care.  I was...in the moment.  
   Eventually, the boys drove around the corner with the trailer.  Our youngest got out.  I asked him to take a cell phone photo of me on the bike...so I could remember the day I decided to take a chance and try changing gears.        

No comments:

Post a Comment