Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Because Its Not Logical To Eat Hummus With Your Fingers


  After my workout this morning, I took a quick trip to a nearby grocery store.  I had seen a recipe on "The Today Show" and thought I'd give it a try.  If I remember right, It came from this book: 
The recipe called for a can of black beans, chopped peppers (green, red and yellow), and 1/2 chopped mango.  Set aside.  The other half of the mango, you blend with Italian dressing, then pour the new blended mango dressing over the salad mixture.  I can't wait to try it.  
   While I was at the store, I saw these new wheat thins.  I was drawn to the "100% whole grain" in the right corner of the bag.  With my store card, they were 2 for $5.00, a savings of about a dollar.  I thought, "why not try them?  I mean, its not logical to eat hummus with my fingers, right?  Though, I've been known to dip sliced peppers in hummus, or even spread it on a spinach wrap, I probably could use more crackers in the house.  And healthy ones are always a good buy.
  In our home, crackers never make it to their expiration date.  They always get eaten.  Wheat Thins toasted chips have six brands to choose from with some pretty catchy titles...Garden Valley Veggie,  North End Parmesan & Herb, Main Street Original, Dairyland Cheddar, Great Plains Multi-grain, and Sweet Home Sour Cream & Onion.  A serving size is about 12 chips at 130 calories a serving.  They have only 3 grams of sugar, and no trans fat.  They have calcium, iron and even some dietary fiber.  This is what I call smart snacking.
   If you are wondering about the hummus, I am not one to make my own from scratch.  Maybe someday.  For now, I am a total fan of Sabra products.  http://sabra.com/products/category/Hummus  My favorite is the Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, but to be honest...I haven't found one I didn't like.  Its funny.  A year ago, I would've laughed if anyone suggested I would like hummus.  I'm really glad I tried something new.  Now, its one of my staple snack foods.  We always have it on the house.    
   I will let you know how the black bean salad turns out.  Meanwhile, I am going to check and see if Maria's book is on kindle (my mother's day gift from the boys).  If not, I am still going to order it.  I just have a feeling its going to be good.  Tonight, we are making blackened Tilapia, black bean salad, and let's see...I'm thinking corn bread.  By the way, the chopped apple chicken salad with tomato on a bed of dark greens (spinach, radicchio and red kale) was great last night...and very filling.
Remember...make good choices.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment