Monday, May 30, 2011

A Day Of Remembering

   We figured it out this morning.  Together, my husband and I have 55 combined years in uniform.  What that means is Memorial Day touches home.  My husband's grandfather served in World War I. Both our fathers serve in World War II.  They were fortunate enough to come home and raise families...raise future veterans.  Over the years, we have mourned many of our friends and military family.  At each funeral, we reminisced times when we worked together, fought together, laughed together, and cried together.  When you have worn a uniform, it seems every day is Memorial Day.
   The weekend is filled with excitement for many...family barbecues, the traditional opening of neighborhood swimming pools, and huge sales.  Its easy to forget the true meaning of this "holiday".
   When I was scanning this old photo, I glanced around our home office at the "I love me" wall, where many of our military certificates and mementos fill the space.   I wish I had a photo of everyone we have served with over the years, but thats just not realistic.  We don't have that kind of wall space.
   Sometimes the memories fade like an old uniform, but with a little help, they can come to life again...bringing back those with which we served.  If we just remember, those old soldiers never die, and together, we can keep them from ever fading away.    
         

No comments:

Post a Comment